My thesis: the educational program in America is severely lacking, leading to incomprehension or a severe misunderstanding of how our particular universe operates. I propose a new program of education to be taught as the new essential reading. This will be based around the following five areas:
(1) The Empirical Method: The foundation of knowledge
(2) Entropy: Things change (put simply)
(3) Probability: Improbability does not imply impossibility; improbable events necessarily occur, though any one specific event may be highly improbable
(4) Evolution: Follows from (2) and (3) - complexity arises from simplicity
(5) Consciousness: The phenomena collectively referred to as 'mind' emerge from a complex nervous system. There is no evidence for minds existing independent of nervous systems. A 'disembodied mind' is operationally indefinable.