In recent discussions with people, I've come to the reinforced decision that moving is a must. I currently live in Huntsville, Alabama, roughly the center of the state only a few miles south of Tennessee. I hate the cold. I like to be involved with my fellow Atheists, but I'm not afraid of starting my own groups- should the need arise. I REALLY hate the cold. And though California seems a logical choice, I know next to nothing about how to live inside of it. Plus, it's all the way across the country.
The deal is, I'm trying to become a writer, an entertainer, and an all around Atheist Activist- like so many others. Except, the writing thing is big for me. I will do it. I must do it. Nothing will stop me from putting my words inside your twisted heads. In a place like Huntsville, Alabama, there are no communities of deep thinkers. The writing groups focus on horrible, shitty, house wife poetry about kittens and birds; and completely ignores the decades long frustration and self-denial that transfers pent up sexual desires into shitty poetry about kittens. Plus the sci-fi community is pretty shit, here, too- what with all the engineers. (They're too into proving how not-a-geek they are, to geek out with the true masters of the dungeons.) If I stay here, I can still make it- but it's gonna take a while, and I may rot on the vine before I meet my chance.
What I need, then:
* Some place warm- if it snows every winter, or most winters, or the snow is measured in more than fractions of an inch, it's too cold.
* Some place creative- I need alternative creative outlets so I can sift through the fuckheads and the pretentious to find other thinkers. Plus, I need help (we all do), and if another fucking house wife tells me my story is good, but it could use more kittens, I'm gonna tell them I had the clap when we fucked last week. So, not some small, hippy, commune of creativty. A HUGE myriad fuckton of weird, wild, and wonderful, please.
* Some place in the US. Though I have job experience in lucrative fields, and sought after skill sets, I don't have enough to get more than a tourist visa. Plus, I can learn new programming languages in under a week; but human languages are impossible for me. I do speak passable sarcasm.
* Some place with a LOCAL comedian scene. Huntsville is devoid of one, and I'm too busy to set it up. Birmingham has a burgeoning one, but it's been that way since the 80s. Fuck that. I want a place where there's access to stage time for all levels. I need to challenge myself, and this is the venue I'd like to do it in, and if I learn the skill set, I want to be able to progress.
* Some place without a complete and utter ban on smoking. I smoke, if you don't, I suggest you start. It's a proven factually truth-nugget that smoking is good for the planet. Cancer kills children, children cause global warming, ipso facto.
* I'd prefer somewhere with a punk scene, because I like the music, asshole.
* Some amount of detail concerning the day-to-day. Average rents- from the scummy end to the low-end-in-sight-of-the-better-places. Food/gas costs. Or where I could go to find more, reliable, information about that.
Lastly, I need your help. If you got a minute, tell me about the place you'd go if you were me. And if you have two, start planning your move, too.