Capitalism can't work without a poverty class. In order to increase the numbers of people in the poverty class,
* withhold the kind of education that teaches critical thinking, stress obedience;
* educate children to remain dependent on church and government as adults;
* tax wages at a higher rate than investment income, otherwise known as unearned income;
* spends tax dollars on expensive warring humans and material that creates wealth for the owners of…Continue
The problem, as I see it, is people who have been trained to be dependent, passive, and subordinate do not think in terms of independence, dominance and action orientation. I hear "victim-talk" instead of "initiator-talk".
victim, fatality, loser, prey, stooge, dupe, sucker, fool, fall guy, chump, patsy, sap, sacrificial lamb, burnt offering, scapegoat; …Continue
Another A/N blogger, Richard Goscicki, has eloquently written on the connection between religion and the destruction of our planet. Let us count the ways.
Time is wasted in religious ritual and obsessing over ancient texts. Religious wars and terrorism carry on a constant slaughter of humans and destruction of resources. Religious teachings – that contraception is wrong, that man is not descended from animals but is special, that we are meant to have total dominion over nature…all…Continue
Added by Alan Perlman on August 2, 2012 at 7:30pm — No Comments
i'm reposting this for three reasons:
1. i think it is an interesting observation that did not get much notice
2. it's been on my mind a lot lately
3. many of the blog posts have been weak lately. not to belittle anyone else's efforts, but many are more appropriate for discussions or simple status updates than a blog post, IMO. anyway, i'll also post the few comments that were made.
I'll start off by admitting that I don't know how "new" this trend is, hence the reason I did not give it that qualifier in my title; however, it is something that has recently begun to stand out to me.
I've noticed a disturbing trend in politics of restating or informing people that alternate opinions or concerns exist, while at the same time saying and doing absolutely nothing to actually address them.
Example: Fill out, create or sign any given petition on Whitehouse.gov…Continue
Added by Jas Brimstone on March 2, 2012 at 12:30pm — No Comments
The move toward American Theocracy by the empowered evangelical 'elite' in the US has made it almost impossible for an atheist or difficult for a non-christian to be elected to office. Schools are having their curriculum undermined by creationist who wish to revise history, remove evolution from science, and prevent teaching sexual health and pregnancy prevention. Atheist fear reprisals for not being christian and are often discriminated against at work, socially, and most especially in…Continue
I'm sorry if this is all rather vague.
Today I am Lain. I am Gulliver. I am a weary traveller in a strange world. I don't understand much and I am tired of hearing the noise of all these voices giving conflicting explanations. Today I don't care about understanding it. I'm tired of trying to defend why I don't believe in magic. In a nutshell it is this: Magic is science we don't understand…Continue
Added by Tak G. on May 8, 2010 at 4:16pm — No Comments
Added by Bex Holmes on November 30, 2009 at 8:00am — No Comments
Added by AYFABTU on November 5, 2008 at 2:37am — No Comments