I want to do a dramatic unabridged reading of Kent Hovind's doctoral dissertation for YouTube. I want to do it badly.

I have two reasons, one worthy and one extraordinarily selfish (but at least I can admit it):

The first reason is the worthy one: this is just begging for it. I managed to get through reading that whole thing and it was beyond hilarious, though painful. It will save those who want to read it but aren't sure they could stomach it from reading it. It's also a golden chance for a comedy series.

The second reason is the selfish reason (and I am ashamed of it, but this is who I am): it will give me some notoriety on YouTube, and give me more watchers. I would like to one day become a partner, and this could legitimately help, especially if people are interested.

(On a side note, I wish I could put emoticons on here because it would make it easier for me to show that I am being tongue-in-cheek with that second reason, although it is true I'd like to be a partner).

The issue is this:

Can I get away with it? Could I be sued for doing such a thing? Am I protected under the Fair Use Act? Are dissertations even copyrighted?

And also, just in case... are there any lawyers in the house who'd be interested in protecting me pro-bono (I am broke enough that the only reason I don't live on the streets is because I still live with my parents [insert embarrassed emoticon here]), in case doing this dramatic reading on YouTube does cause issues?

I need to know what I'm up against, because this is something that I want to do... badly. This is something I, in fact, think should be done.

I even have a "trailer" video already made (just a cool space background video, dramatic music, and text), in case I can go ahead with this (which I very much hope I can).

Please help me out. Tell me that this can be done. I would gladly suffer through the pain of rereading that dissertation if it means I can dramatically read it on YouTube. Please... help me...

Views: 9

Replies to This Discussion

DISCLAIMER: *I am not a Lawyer, I am a 17 year old YouTube user who has battled Copyright Suits over Music. WMG sucks and Google is Fascist.*

Well first off I'd like to point out the obvious fact that YouTube/Google does not follow the rules when it comes to Copyrights. They activly deny us our legal right to Fair Use each time WMG mutes or censors a video that has a song by one of their artists in it. Nothing is a sure fire thing but, thats good in a way because now the laws are so broad as to copyrights that no serious legal action can be made UNLESS you intend to or do make any profit. However what the situation may be, remember this quote from the US Copyright Act of 1976 under section 107 which *to my knowledge* is still in effect today:

"Allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Next, anything that is under a "Creative Commons License" or if it is "Public Domain" then it's perfectly okay to revise, edit, post and/or hand out at will. If it might enrage a certain group of peoples *race, religion, sexual orientation, social status, ect* then you can upload at the risk of it being Flagged by YouTube. If it has too much profanity/cussing in the dialog then it could become mathematically censored as well thus decreasing the views it gets worldwide, if it reaches that far.

Remember that YouTube does NOT *or at least SHOULD NOT* have your street address or phone number. I myself have lost numerous copyright disputes for Music and Footage I have used, the most YouTube can do is give your account a strike. 3 Community Guidelines Strikes *trolling, spamming, false flagging, ect...* or 4 Copyright Strikes and your account will be suspended or deleted forever. The users however can go further and file a DMCA Form *like that twat VenomFangX does* which can be sent to a courthouse where your IP Address will be given out. Then they take that to an actual Judge and they can obtain your global location aka YOUR HOUSE from your IP Address. DMCA's however are also loose these days as DPRJones, Thunderf00t, VFX and others can tell you.

Basically just relax because the worst that could happen in most cases is your account getting deleted but I had 5 accounts taken from me for copyright issues and never even got a phone call. Just try to follow the TOS *ignoring the copyright scare tactics of course*, try to not offend anyone TOO MUCH and also put a disclaimer in the description. Something short but sweet like this should do:

COPYRIGHT DISCLAIMER
"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

Hope this helped at least a bit and heres wishing that your videos may rock on epicly ever after. - Alex Tyler aka MusicMyLife2112
Well, the only content that will be on those videos is Kent Hovind's dissertation (read in different goofy voices), along with some music, goofy pics, and sound-effects. So there won't be any cussing, and I know not to put any nudie pics on it. So I should be safe there.

My biggest fear is getting sued by Eric Hovind or any other Hovind. I don't have the money to sustain such a trial (hence my question for lawyers acting pro-bono).
Hmm... so how could I make it look educational?

And I had to be honest... :D

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service