Current Extinction Rate 1,000 Times Higher than Pre-Human Times

A new study says that the extinction rate of wildlife is currently 1,000 times higher than in the 60,000,000 year period before the arrival of humans. Per the article:

Extinctions are about 1,000 times more frequent now than in the 60 million years before people came along. The explanation from lead author Jurriaan de Vos, a Brown University postdoctoral researcher, senior author Stuart Pimm, a Duke University professor, and their team appears online in the journal Conservation Biology.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140902151125.htm

Tags: Animals, Extinction, Humans, Jubinsky, Wildlife

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

Oh! I feel ill after reading this! To think, the human mind, capable of great art, music, literature, sculpture, architecture, poetry, dance, logic, mathematics, physics, chemistry, biology, psychology, sociology, geo-science and astronomy, and we are not smart enough to live in a way that the Earth can support us. 

The Earth is going to be just fine. It will go on its journey through time and space and repair any damage done to it by the likes of dominionist travelers. 

So, what now? Do we fold our hands and feel helpless? Do we point fingers of blame at the foolhardiness of our species? Do we cry, whine, plead, make promises, beg, pray, petition, ask god to save us? 

Well, I don't know about you. I plan to wake up tomorrow and go into my garden and do the work that needs to be done to make it the kind of place of natural beauty, with a few disciplines here and there, that I enjoy living in. I will visit over the fence with my neighbors and marvel at the strange weather this year has brought us and how clever we are to be so adaptable. I will learn some more techniques of permaculture and pass them on to family and friends. They may not be interested, but what the heck, I would rather be writing about horticulture than family violence. 

After lunch, I will start making phone calls, writing letters to the powers that be, joining with others who intend to observe the current events. I will learn the long term meaning of current event, set some goals, gather resources, build coalitions, and see how far we can go to challenge those who don't know, don't care, and/or feel helpless and hopeless. I will continue to think and act in ways that look to the seventh generation.

Care to join me? Have any other ideas?  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service