That was a line put by Adrian, and I hope that I am not embarrassing you or being rude. I actually have to say I quite liked it, and I thought it would be a good topic.

Views: 161

Replies to This Discussion

Now I am posting here my response, so not to confuse as a posting. I think atheist think of the world very differently and choose our own morality differently. I am trying to fit more sustainable. Not killing or detaining as many animals is icing on the cake. Maybe the last sentence may have not sounded vegetarian, but you get my drift. I have also grown very empathetic to animals, but I must say, I never been very religious. Christianity seems to through other actions as being unimportant, often encouraging people to disregard the future because God will.

Atheism, has so much more clarity that not even we realize it.
Interesting thought. I wonder if anyone has done a survey. Among the religious, 7th day adventists promote vegetarianism. Buddhists and HIndus of course. Since we live in a yahwehcentric society, however, being vegetarian isn't usually promoted by religion.

I've been vegetarian for 30 years, atheist somewhat longer. For me, both processes involved gradually looking into why I beleived what I did, and why I did what I did, and deciding for myself what seemed to be the best "fit", or the most logical, or the healthiest, or the most honest. In both cases, it involved realizing that this was an area that I took for granted, that really warranted thinking critically. Also in both cases, it was never my intent to follow that path, it just happened. Only in retrospect did I arrive at the conclusion that this was the "right choice". Although in neither situation do I remember making that choice, it just evloved.

Actually, (rambling here), there are some similarities in my life path. The path to nonbelief in christianity started with wanting to be a better christian by reading the bible. It was that bible reading that lead to nonbelief. In the case of being vegetarian, at the time I was a research associate for a company that manufactured animal feed additives. I was working very closely with cattle, got to know them by name, petted them, they came when called, gazed at me with their huge eyes. They were like very, very, large, somewhat stupid, dogs. Then I'd head to Burger King for a whopper, and started to think about why was this OK? It started to make me feel sick, to think about it. Then, researching the literature on feed additives, I realized how toxic these substances are, and how unsafe the animal agriculture process was, and how harmful this process is to our health and environment. So it was doing work, that promoted animal agriculture, that led to my being vegetarian. It also led to guitting that job, changing careers, and a very convoluted path in my future life. Im glad that I did.

So my own experience was that nonbelief and noncarnivorianism followed similar paths. Interesting.
hello guys, i am brazilian, atheist and vegetarian. i am happy to find this group.
i am still learning english but i understand what you say, see you!!
I belong to a large group of Atheists in the Inland Empire of Southern California. Most of them think I'm an idiot for being a vegan. They do all they can to convince me to eat meat. I've distanced myself from them due to this.
I was talking to Rebecca Watson about what I thought was the fact that vegetarians in the skeptic and atheist movement were rare. She claimed it was not so, and on casting a wider, (inter), net I see she’s right. I wonder whether there’s a vegetarian gene cluster that we few have, because we all know shockingly smart people who just don’t get it.
Oh and I would like to mention that I'm writing a no-tofu vegan (Read non-spiritual/Hippy) cookbook for an Independent publisher in California. If anyone has any advice or reversely needs advice on skeptical vegetarianism please get in contact. I won't be interested in Homeopathy, or energy vortexes though.
It makes logical sense that this would be the case, because both atheism and vegetarianism are a rejection of values blindly accepted by almost everyone in the developed world, but which are not very conducive to a progressive and thoughtful world.
I agree with Joshua. People are raised and told that animals are food and that God is their lord. More enlightened people free themselves from the constraints of these, and can think outside of the box, break free from the mold, etc. We have the willpower. I am proud to be in this group of select individuals.
I am a vegan atheist, I was a vegetarian before I became an atheist and then vegan, 20 yrs, 15 yrs and 10 yrs respectively. Becoming a vegetarian therefore does not directly complement becoming an atheist, that I would otherwise could claim, but becoming a vegan did, as aforementioned as an “Icing on the cake”. As the general public Hitlerise and communize us (nothing much wrong with the latter), I think it’s pertinent for us to take a practical stance on refuting those public thought-norm memes.
Most atheists also have this evolutionary mental tag that makes it, I think, hard to shake off but compliments omnivore tendency unless they vigorously look at this moral equivalence together with the evolutionary perspective.
This is my first time posting, recent member, I’m soooo happy to be amongst you guys. Im the only vegan (most are carnivore leaning omnivores) and atheist (Hindus and Christians) in the family, and mentally I feel like I just got adopted into a fresh and new family. All the best to all!!!!

Skeptics are hardly ever vegan. Many skeptics hate vegan atheists.

If atheists are simply reacting to the restrictions and dogma of religion (especially the Abrahamic religions) then these atheists are … blank.  That being said, the last thing they want to do is give up the freedom that they have realized. They have become what I call selfish atheists. They care little about people, other species or the world.  They are basically anti-theists.  These atheists hate anyone that, by example, threatens their freedom.  They make fun of vegans and use their fine tuned anti-religious argument techniques on vegans to "save" these vegans.  This is strange since veganism is not a religion.

If on the other hand, atheists are nonbelievers because it is rational to think that way then they are open to other rational ideas as well and they find it absolutely necessary to form ethics about their behavior in the community and ethics toward other species and the world. Vegetarianism and veganism give these atheists pause.  They do not dismiss vegans and vegetarians, rather, they embrace all atheists of integrity that strive to live by non-religious ethics. These people are fully functioning atheist. They may even become vegan atheists.

In the USA there has been a long history of religious abuse and therefore there is a large number of rebellious atheist also known as atheist warriors or simply zealous skeptics. In a war these atheist champions are good to have around, however, when peace breaks out community minded ethical atheists are needed.

Here in the Inland Empire (Riverside, CA) I would say there may be 1 in 50 vegan/vegetarians in our atheist group of 700 people. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service