I am looking to re-start the  Adult Religious Education program at my (fairly small) church. I'm looking to start with the Tapestry of Life materials.

Some of the phrasing, while I can see that it is looking to be inclusive of those with theistic and nontheistic beliefs, makes me cringe or eyeroll. Has anyone worked with ARE materials before? If you strip out all of the supernatural language (including the stuff about energy flowing through a group or spirit of life), does your workshop size shrink?

And, have you ever taught an ARE program solo. Most of the Tapestry courses seem pretty insistent on at least two teachers, although the activities don't seem to require two leaders.

Views: 13

Replies to This Discussion

My husband was having a crisis years ago when he was exposed to materials he thought would kill him. He was "not religious". He went to our UU church and they were using Building Your Own Theology. At the end of the course, he was confirmed in his atheism. "Building Your Own Theology" may be old, but it has attracted people to our church out of curiosity when they were questioning. It was promoted in the local papers and through fliers and brought in fellow agnostics/atheists besides some others, but I don't think it was promoting "spirituality" as the newer curricula apparently does.
Some of the work of the course is on defining the terms for oneself, and some of the work of the course just uses the terms without defining them. My co-teacher and I are sometimes a little confused as to what to do with these terms when they are just used. For instance, are sacred and spiritual intended to indicate something different? That sort of thing.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo liked nice girl's blog post Why I am here
2 hours ago
Jason Andrews commented on nice girl's blog post Why I am here
2 hours ago
Plinius commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
2 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
3 hours ago
Tom Sarbeck replied to k.h. ky's discussion Edward Snowden
3 hours ago
Freethinker31 commented on DAN DANA's blog post This Is How the Gaza War Will End
3 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
4 hours ago
Patricia replied to Ceil's discussion Please help me maintain some sanity... It just isn't true!
4 hours ago
Patricia replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
4 hours ago
BIPLAB DAS posted an album

anti superstition programme

its our regular antisuperstition school programme. this time we are in CHHATNA GIRLS HOGH SCHOOL of BANKURA DISTRICT in INDIA. we are disclosing the miracle behind FIRE WALKING.
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service