A lot of you probably share my primary reason: coming out is just too much trouble.

I became an atheist shortly before I left for college, but I had a lot of friends at church, and my parents are serious Christians. I thought I could wait until I got to college to tell them. I had no problem with being open to new friends at school, but I kept putting off telling people in my home town about my deconversion. Now I'm back for the summer after an academic year, and the situation hasn't changed - they all think I'm a committed Christian.

Unfortunately, I never made many close friends in high school, so the only people I'm still regularly in contact with are friends from church. I want to be able to express my honest opinion, but I value their friendship more than my own integrity at the moment - I am not an introvert, so a summer alone would be worse for me than a summer of pretending to believe a lie.

This thread isn't just for me. Share away.

Views: 134

Replies to This Discussion

I'm having the exact same problem! I've been an atheist since fifth grade -- I'm a high school sophomore now -- and it scares me to death to even consider coming out.

I had an unfortunate experience with it in seventh grade. My classmates were talking about nothing in particular, and somehow the conversation shifted to religion. Someone asked me if I believed in God, and I replied, unabashedly, "No." They were all shocked! One girl actually said that she couldn't be my friend if I was an atheist. She asked me a couple of questions, like "Where do you think you came from?" to which I replied, "My parents." Duh, right? Then she asked where my parents -- no, people in general -- came from. I didn't know as much as I do now, so I had a bit of trouble answering that one.

But that experience taught me something: never make that mistake again. And so I have lived ever since. I either tell them I believe, or that I'm an agnostic. Lately I've been telling them the latter. I always see to it that I stay in the closet, because I don't know how people will react. Some hypervigilant part of me always anticipates a bad reaction -- and for me, bad reactions equal hits on my self-esteem.

It's a real drag keeping this a secret. I've been bullied for eight years, though, and I want to escape that, not walk right back into it! I know this next part sounds really stupid, but -- how else will I be happy?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Freethinker 31 commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Religion as Mental Disorder
2 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to James M. Martin's discussion Question for All Who Read This Posting
3 minutes ago
John Jubinsky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion John Jubinsky's DNA Testing Results in the group DNA Tested Nonbelievers
4 minutes ago
Freethinker 31 liked Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Religion as Mental Disorder
5 minutes ago
Pat replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
9 minutes ago
James M. Martin posted discussions
28 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
37 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion In the Middle East, Some Atheists Fake-Fast During Ramadan To Avoid Detection in the group Atheist News
39 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to James M. Martin's discussion "I Accepted Jesus and I'm Not Gay Anymore"
54 minutes ago
k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
1 hour ago
Loren Miller replied to Joe's discussion Atheist TV Channel Will Launch by the End of the Month in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago
Atheist Exile replied to Joe's discussion In the Middle East, Some Atheists Fake-Fast During Ramadan To Avoid Detection in the group Atheist News
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service