9.  Jesus and sexual morality

Jesus said, “There are eunuchs who have been so from birth, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by men, and there are eunuchs who have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to receive this, let him receive it” (Matthew 19: 12). That is Jesus favored men becoming eunuchs. But God did not like eunuchs in Moses’ time; God ordered Moses, saying “He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation (Deuteronomy 23: 1).  

Jesus discarded the old law of Moses of “You shall not commit adultery” and then gave a new law which says, “Every one who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart’ (Matthew 5: 27).  Right after saying so, Jesus continues his sermon, saying, “If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown in hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body go into hell”  (Matthew 5: 28). 

Judging from the context of Jesus words about the imaginary adultery and plucking one eye or one hand out in order not to be thrown in hell, what Jesus intended to say seems to be like this: “If your private member causes you to sin, pluck it out and throw it away; it is better that you lose one of your members than that your whole body be thrown in hell.”  This is not a groundless conjecture if we consider the fact that Jesus recommended the act of being a eunuch for the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 19: 12).   

Jesus made a fundamental mistake. It is neither an eye nor hand nor private member that really causes one to sin. It is one’s brain or head. So if Jesus were a bit wiser, his sermon should have been somewhat like this: “If your brain causes you to sin, pluck it out of your head; it is better that you go to paradise with empty head than your whole body be thrown in hell.”  One more thing: It is useless to pluck one’s brain after having committed sin of any kind. That is too late. I mean it is important that plucking one’s brain before he/she commits sin, preferably right after birth.  

There was a bizarre but actual anecdote of the 18th Century Russian Christian sect in which male Christians practiced the ritual of cutting their private members to be true Christians.  According to History of Religion, by Sergei Tokarev, 1986, in the late 18th Century, a group of Christians called skoptsy, a sect split from a former sect Krhistovery, demanded its male members to put an end to the private members which they thought to be full of sinful desire; and many members were castrated accordingly. But it is dubious whether such divine operation actually immunized Christians from “imaginary lust sins” because simply plucking out the private members from an “adult male” does not pluck the mental desire itself. However, I think such a custom is needed for all priests including the pope in order to prevent them from committing corporal sin. 

In Moses time, those who committed adultery were to be stoned to death (Deuteronomy 22: 23-27).  But Moses was not as inhumane as Jesus to order to punish even imaginary adultery. Jesus’ new law concerning adultery (Matthew 5: 27) seems to mean that adultery, even if it is just imaginary one, is big enough for one to be thrown in hell.  But Jesus forgave a woman who had been taken in adultery by saying to the accusers, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her” (John 8: 1-11).  Christians believe that Jesus’ word “Let him who is without sin throw a stone to sinners” is a very morally teaching. Jesus’ policy was “Do not judge any one or any doing.”  I do not buy Jesus wisdom. If we are to follow Jesus’ teachings, our world will become the paradise for the evil and hell for the good. 

I am against Jesus’ law about adultery. I do not mean I would recommend people to commit adultery actively.  But I think adultery is not that grave sin to be stoned or condemned by hell of fire. I think marriage is possible because a man or woman has the desire to have sex, which Jesus defined as already adultery, with his/her partner-to-be.  

I think Jesus must have committed imaginary sin, if not corporal adultery, at least once if he was born a normal man.  If he were a born asexual, it must have been hard for him to know that other men might commit imaginary sin. 

------------- 

This is the 9th chapter of Part 1 of my manuscript entitled Two kinds of Gods. 

Views: 70

Replies to This Discussion

Oh! My goodness, Brian! I feel like the nose of the camel has entered the tent and wants to come in out of the bleak desert. Why are Jesus, eunuchs, Bible scripture sites, or sin or adultry a part of any discussion between atheists? What have they got to do with being part of magnificent universe, equipped with senses to enjoy it and participate in it. We (I) left all those imperatives behind and continue to live a decent, respectful, responsible, moral, and ethical life without all that babel.

My point is that Jesus was/is not God, not the creator of magnificent universe.

You seemed to be pretty offended.

Who do you hate more, me or the false god worship?  

How can you help Christians, Muslims, and Jews let go of their god?  Any good idea?

Just we close our eyes do not see the holy scriptures?

Did I sound offended? or hateful? I didn't intend to sound that way. I felt bored, annoyed to be reading this kind of stuff when I am happy to be free of the whole tyranny. I don't want to help Christians, Muslims, and Jews let go of their god. I let go, I am happy and content, I feel as though a huge anvil the size of a building has been lifted off my head and smashed me to the ground. I can breath again, even do all the other things, such as see and hear and smell and taste and touch and feel with my heart and with my gut. I am no longer constrained. If someone were to ask me to help them free themselves, I could coach in the way I came to life. But, No, I don't want to proselytize atheism.

You are just too happy and you do not care what all the crazy people are doing.  

You seem to burry your head in the sand and say I am all happy, no more of the boring busstle. 

So you think you are most enlightened? I do not think so.

I am stunned to see so happy and contented people like you.

I am so angry to see all the preposterous lies and crimes written in the scriptures in the name of magnificent creator (?) and people are dying to believe and worship that hating and killing each other. 

And you say "I am all happy, shut up your boring mouth..."  

God or Buddha must have blessed (paralyzed) you too much.  

It sounds to me like you want someone to live their life for someone else’s benefit. 

You sound really  boring and you miss the point completely.

Thanks, I've worked very hard at being very boring.  Excitement has always extracted a higher price from me than anticipated.  Unfortunately you are right; I don't even know what direction the point is from here.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo replied to roland707's discussion Thoughts on Buddhism?
19 minutes ago
Pat replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
33 minutes ago
Warren Jappe commented on Steve Shives's video
1 hour ago
Warren Jappe posted a video

It's good to be anti-Islam

...but not anti-Muslim. Christians burned alive, beheaded, crucified and tortured to death http://endoftheamericandream.com/archives/christians-are-being-bur...
1 hour ago
Pat replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
1 hour ago
Pat replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
1 hour ago
John Jubinsky added a discussion to the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
sk8eycat replied to Steph S.'s discussion Noah movie religious controversy
2 hours ago
Sentient Biped replied to Raj's discussion Bible: all laws must be obeyed
3 hours ago
Loren Miller replied to Polaroidxxx's discussion Atheist Confetti
3 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Chapters Eleven and Twelve - An Atheist Reads Simply Christian

The examination of N.T. Wright's Simply Christian continues with a look at Chapter Eleven: Worship, and Chapter Twelve: Prayer.
4 hours ago
booklover replied to James M. Martin's discussion World Wrestling's Steve Austin on Why Same Sex Couples Should be Allowed to Marry
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service