So... I have a funeral coming up, sadly, for one of my best friends who died of cancer this past weekend. The funeral is in the UK and I live in the USA and I was agonizing over whether to go or not. It's expensive, I don't have enough vacation time, I have a fear of flying... and so on. Then, I found this - and after listening the decision was clear - I'm going. Hope others find it useful too.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4785079

-BT

Tags: funerals

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

I have gone to some funerals I wished I hadn't, and vice versa.

But, there were a couple I did not go to, and it was o.k. in the end.

I have always felt it more important to try to get to see the people before they die.
I went to the UK last year to see my favorite cousin as he is elderly and has advanced emphysema, prostate cancer, colon cancer, and host of other "issues".
I had a good visit, and now a year later, I am facing the nearness of a funeral.
It will make me very sad, and I will have to think long a hard if I am going to try to go.
My grand-aunt is now in a nursing home, and she's 97.
She has no major illnesses, and her mind is still sharp as a tack.
She can't hear very well, or see either for that matter.

I'm trying to make arrangements to get out to see her soon.
I'd rather see her alive than in a casket.

Still, I think I would go to a funeral for my best friend, regardless of where it was taking place.

Thanks for that link!
You are so right about it being more important to see them alive! I visited my friend last year shortly after his diagnosis and had been calling him regularly over the past year, and I am very glad I did.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Sentient Biped replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
9 minutes ago
Sentient Biped replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
14 minutes ago
Grinning Cat replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
29 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion S.E. Cupp: I’m a ‘Better’ Atheist than Bill Maher in the group Atheist News
33 minutes ago
Joseph P replied to Joe's discussion S.E. Cupp: I’m a ‘Better’ Atheist than Bill Maher in the group Atheist News
38 minutes ago
James M. Martin replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
39 minutes ago
James M. Martin posted a discussion
41 minutes ago
43 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Sentient Biped's discussion More than 30,000 Nexus members. Where are they?
48 minutes ago
50 minutes ago
51 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to matthew greenberg's discussion Enough already - take down the Brother Richard article from the banner
54 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service