I'm actually on my way to see it in about an hour. Eager for a good CGI-fest of world destruction and carrying low expectations as far as narrative or intelligent plot, I think it's a safe bet (not to mention an excuse to satisfy my addiction to movie-theater popcorn).

But at the risk of backlash from my fellow Atheists; I don't see the big deal over its core plot point.

I'm not Christian, yet thoroughly enjoyed "The Exorcist." I don't believe we will suddenly discover easy FTL travel only to find all intelligent races are just like us except with funny ears or foreheads, yet I will watch the latest "Star Trek" movie over and over (Man candy! Man candy!).

Maybe I'm living under a rock, and indeed I haven't had a TV for a year and a half now. But are there really that many people taking "2012" seriously? Seems to me like the usual Hollywood trick of weaving a little history into an outlandish season blockbuster.

Seems to me it's been well proven that the Mayan calendar simply resets in 2012. Yes, it's a 5,000 year calendar so what are the odds you and I would be alive when it resets? And yes, the Mayans themselves seemed to put a lot of significance on numerology, like a major resetting of their calendar. And this is about as major as it gets. But how many people in the world are really putting any stock in it? Enough that a movie is going to stoke those fires?

Then again, if there are any such people, maybe I can get them to give me all their possessions in November 2012, if they have so much faith that said possessions will be useless.

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

Just a bunch of clever devils in California special effects circles concocting a plot built not around characters who are more than props so that you can justify a budget of a couple of million dollars not including the starving actors' salaries. John Cusack should be hanging his head in shame. But at least they left Kirk Cameron out of it. He used to be sooooo cute!
I saw 2012 in the theater. The special effects were awesome. Of course, after an hour or so of repeated hairbreadth escapes and rollercoaster action, my eyelids still started to droop. No amount of special effects could make up for the weak writing, brainless storyline and 2-dimensional characterizations.
Ok now that I've seen it, I really, really want to know what the big hubbub was about.

......Minimal spoilers as this is the same plot formula as 90% of all disaster movies made:.......

- Wide-eyed scientists discover some imminent catastrophe.

- Attempt to make a statement about power and corruption via how key characters and world leaders react to the news.

- Lots of shit blowing apart while the protagonist makes innumerable, impossible, by-the-skin-of-his-teeth escapes from unique means of death and destruction.

- End credits with new hit song by new hip pop star that has nothing whatsoever to do with the film itself, but provides a great way to promote said pop star. (Adam Lambert really is quite cool, so the best part of the movie for me is that he gets a little plug).

About the only plot point missing? The religious prophecy. Yeah, for the title of the film itself, the Mayan prophecy was barely even mentioned. A crazy guy in the woods briefly dons his tin foil hat and says, "The Mayans saw this coming, the I Ching, the bible sort of..." and lists the prophesied date of doom as December 21, 2010.

But seeing as how Yellowstone National Park has grass on the ground, leaves on the trees, and not a snowflake to be found when the end of the world starts, I'm guessing the filmmakers decided to push the doomsday date up a few months. Either that, or their failure to depict what Yellowstone looks like in the Winter is the biggest of a long line of rather huge scientific blunders.

Anyway, I really don't see how this film is going to stoke any fires that weren't already stoked. If anyone going into the movie didn't know about the Mayan prophecy, they aren't really going to learn anything here. Its mention is so brief as to be all but forgettable.

All that said, insanely cool end-of-the-world CGI images. Even if they did fail to make an aircraft carrier in true proportion to the size of the White House.
I did a video on 2012, the year that is, some months ago. I found it disturbing that so many people believe this nonsense and I make a connection between the abuse of the planet and the belief that it's coming to an end. Coincidence that they made a movie out of it.
Oh I'm not saying it's a coincidence that a 2012 movie was made. I'm actually quite shocked Hollywood didn't latch onto this earlier.

But for all the hype, I'm surprised the filmmakers didn't weave more of the Mayan prophecy theme into it.

Then again, they reportedly nixed the idea of showing a Mosque being destroyed along with other religious icons for fear of Muslim backlash. So if they were such pussies as to fear people taking something like that too seriously, I suppose the downplay of the prophecy itself was their way of pussying out of being accused of stoking that fire as well.

Personally, as a scifi fan, I would LOVE to have seen an end-of-world blockbuster that took full advantage of the prophecy. I actually really love it when films take actual biblical prophecies, actual prophecy-prophecies, and make a what-if-it's-real movie about it. The scifi/fantasy lover in me gets a good story, and I get to laugh at the millions who take it seriously.
and I get to laugh at the millions who take it seriously.

I've said before you better get your xmas shopping done early in 2012. There's going to be a lot of pissed-off End-Timers doing last-minute shopping.
I've said before you better get your xmas shopping done early in 2012. There's going to be a lot of pissed-off End-Timers doing last-minute shopping

Ooh, didn't even think about that!

>> There's going to be a lot of pissed-off End-Timers doing last-minute shopping.

that is funny!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service