May 21, 2011.

And yes, the guy starts out by pooh-poohing the Mayan 2012 date as "like a fairy tale." So just to be clear:

- Centuries old documents predicting the coming wrath of a vengeful, violent, jealous god from Central America = "Fairy Tale."

- Centuries old documents predicting the coming wrath of a vengeful, violent, jealous god from The Middle East = "Absolute Truth."

Got it.

Even though nowhere in the Mayan writings (at least the precious few that survived the Christian book burnings) do they predict end times. Their 5,000 year calendar, which by all measure is impressively accurate and wicked cool from a mathematical, historical standpoint, is cyclical and simply resets in 2012.

And the book of Revelations in the Bible is considered by most (intelligent) scholars to be an anti-government political document written at the time, as most were to avoid prosecution and execution, in codes hidden in the prose of supposedly religious text. For most, it refers to the Roman/Jewish war around 70 C.E. and thusly, has already come to pass.

Interesting side note: The oldest known fragment of the book of Revelations tells us that the famed mark of the beast is 616. Not 666. Which means Christians and heavy metal bands worldwide need to change their lyrics.

But I digress.

How can someone can see Mayan texts as fairy tales and biblical texts as something different? Indoctrination is the only answer. You're told from birth that story A is real while similar stories B, C, and D are just plain silly.

The world seriously needs to wake up.

Views: 173

Replies to This Discussion

Don't you know faith is a virtue? At least when it's my faith. Anyone else's we can discount.
;)
Jo, I've been talking about this for a year already. So many people infested by the "endmeme" ain't healthy.

As far as the Mayans go, aren't they the people who liked to throw young virgens off the pyramid? How cool are they?
I thought that was for anyone they sacrificed. I think they sacrificed children and women and then threw them in water wells. Not sure though.
I wonder if he will sign over his house (or car) to me effective May 22nd, 2011? He won't need it.
It's just freakin' frustrating. An endless array of pattern recognition games that everyone seems to get, until you get to their own pattern.

Bronze age people A + politics + ignorance + superstition = silly religion that's obviously made up.

Bronze age people B + politics + ignorance + superstition = silly religion that's obviously made up.

Bronze age people C + politics + ignorance + superstition = silly religion that's obviously made up.

Bronze age people D + politics + ignorance + superstition = My religion, which is totally and obviously true and has zero correlation or analogy to A B or C.

*Facepalm. Very big facepalm*
Here ya go, Jo ....

I think he's thinking "I despair for my cousins ..."

Those billboards are EVERYWHERE in my state. If I were to grab my cat and swing him around i'd hit three of them before my arm got tired and the cat got a concussion. 

But, a question. Doesn't the bible specifically go against date setting? I mean, even their own Christ was like "the hell I know". 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service