Among my many forms of income, I recently worked as an A/V tech for a Film Festival. Three years ago my boss - the tech director - started bringing his teenage daughter to watch movies and occasionally be Daddy's Little Helper. Every parent wants to believe that their kid can be the quarterback, the next American Idol, or follow in their footsteps. So him doting over his teenybopper, spoiled rotten, emotionally stunted daughter <i>WAY</i> more into fashion and makeup than how to swap out a lens on a Panasonic projector ... it was nauseating to watch, but she mostly stayed out of the way.

Until this year when our crew was a body short and he brought her to fill in.

At 18 she is still emotionally stunted, which I attribute to mass spoiling. Her interest into things technical doesn't seem to have grown, she certainly wasn't interested in putting in the full-time hours, and her obsession with fashion and makeup has reached an extreme. When I and the other woman on the crew show up on haul-heavy-equipment/run-cable/get-dirty day in jeans, work shoes and gloves while the teenage daughter shows up in her 1940's movie star outfit complete with perfect hairpiece and 4 inch heels, it's beyond nauseating to know that she's drawing the same paycheck as us. Our job is to set up the equipment. Her job is to go off in a corner and practice her ballet. Oh, and to be her nannies; drive her wherever, be responsible for getting her up in the morning, cut our hours short to take her home early if she didn't feel like finishing her shift...

Come to find out, as her dad is divorced, this is the only time in a year she gets to spend with him. The rest of us are there to work 16 hour days in a high-pressure environment with little time to check our Facebook, much less have a family vacation. 

And I don't know if it's wishful thinking or genuine blindness on his part, but the tech director - daddy - could see no wrong in his kid.  The festival suffered greatly by having someone woefully unqualified and uninterested in the job be placed in a critical role. The rest of us being blamed for and scrambling to cover for her mistakes. And did I mention she gets paid the same as the rest of us?

So I suppose the point of my gripe here is that parental superiority is bad enough to deal with. But when they bring their kids to work? As employees? Bad news all around. The job gets ignored in favor of doting on daughter. Do people even have an inkling how asinine that makes them look? Are parents really that convinced that their kids inherit the {insert parent's occupation here} gene?

As I'm starting a new business, I've spoken with my business partner and he seems to agree: No hiring friends or family unless we are absolutely prepared to treat them like any other employee, including firing them if they don't work out.

Views: 10

Replies to This Discussion

For one, I would think she'd need to be a member of a union to do that type of work wouldn't she? I always thought working with electrical equipment, projectors, cameras and so on were involved with one or more unions. Not that she's working, but still...

This reminds me of that news story a couple of weeks back where the pilots at one of the busy airports heard a child's voice giving them instructions on landing. Awwww... how cute! NOT! I don't care if daddy or mommy's right behind them and coaching them on what to say, a child has no business being in the air traffic controller's tower. These folks are juggling dozens of aircraft at a time and they do not need that type of distraction. If I'd been on one of the planes being guided in by a child, I would have sued the airport.

Hope daddy's baby girl isn't going to be hanging around too much longer for your sake.
Did you mention something about the "only time of year"? So hopefully that means you won't be around all year at least.
I have a friend who got a job b/c her dad worked somewhere. Everyone hated her dad b/c he was the one who fired people, and everyone hated her b/c in extension, and because they thought she was getting special treatment. That was a sucky job, but still I think she got a good deal b/c she got a lot of experience though it and has a sinecure now even though she never finished college. Meanwhile, I'm going to school yet again and still dealing with entry level jobs...
This is just a once a year deal.

One of my first jobs I'm sure I got because my dad was the big boss. Manager of a camp/conference center. When I did the teenage daddy-I-want-a-pony thing, his answer was "Great. Your grandma just left you a thousand bucks and I think the kitchen manager is hiring."

I'm sure now that my dad told the kitchen manager to treat me like anyone else. I never did feel like I got preferential treatment. Very glad for that.
Parents love to inflict their children on other people. It's part of the deal that makes them special.
I think people are just that clueless as to how their children really are. It's probably denial. They don't want to admit that their kid isn't that talented or interested in what they are interested in. Some of it might be that they want their kid to succeed at all costs.
Exactly, and I really don't blame this kid at all. Her dad never coached her, so when she was working she never even knew that she was doing the job wrong, Personally, she's a decent kid and I think would even be a good worker some day. But for that to happen she needs to get an entry-level job somewhere where she isn't the boss' favorite.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service