I was about five when I decided I'd rather raise kittens than children. Before that, I can't remember thinking anything concrete about bearing children. I know I was given dolls to play with, but there came a certain point when I was disappointed with dolls, and definitely wanted books instead.

At about nine, when a relative by marriage commented on how I'd make someone a good wife someday(because I'd baked gingerbread from a box mix), I retorted that I never wanted to get married. Their reaction was as if I'd suddenly sprouted horns, a forked tail, and my breath took on the distinct aroma of brimstone.

How about you?

Tags: childfree

Views: 417

Replies to This Discussion

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to make the vodka from the potatoes?
Yeah, but who drinks Idaho vodka? If I could find Russian potatoes.....
Being the oldest child of 4, it was about the time my sister arrived on the scene when I was about 4 years old that was when I decided I'd never have kids....:)
Sort of my situation too. I was the eldest of four, but five, seven, and nine years older than the others. I changed diapers when I was old enough... which may be what made me feel like I'd changed enough diapers in my life.
It has only been the last few years or so that I have decided not to have any kids.

I was interested in having one or two when I was younger (not that I am old), but I never wanted to be 45 and only then just having a kid , It is not for me. I now enjoy the extra freedom that decision has enabled me to have, my life is ultimately my own and I don't mind that. I like kids and I love my nieces to death, being an uncle is more then enough for me. Hopefully they will consider me to be the cool one once they are older.
Heh. After a certain point, I just wanted to be a doting auntie. One of the things I like about other people's kids is that they have to go back with the other people at some point.
Hmm... I guess you mean when they stop being fun. ;)

Yes I like that aspect of it as well.
I always wanted kittens rather than human babies, but unfortunately that was a biological impossibility. I live with cats now, but I don't see them as my children. I always tell people that if I'd wanted children, I would have had some.

I think it's wise to be open to the possibility of a mind change, but also wise not to feel obligated to do so.
I grew up with a daycare in our home. I have 2 younger sisters. I coached gymnastics from ages 16-27. I love coaching children and can relate to kids better than adults. I worked with kids in their accelerated reading groups at school. Baby sat for a week at a time while the parents went on ski trips. Even considered being a nanny after I stopped coaching. I like kids and I am passionate about what's good for children.
With all of that being said, I just don't want to ever have to come home to one! It's odd. I think I'd be a great parent, whether I was a single mom or married to a man or in a gay relationship. But, I don't think I need a kid to complete me. I enjoy being able to do things without having to worry about my responsibility to my child.
I'm 28 and hope to never get that "womanly urge" to have a child. It's just not rational to have a kid. I've donated my eggs 2 times (going on 3 right now!) and am satisfied that my wonderfully perfect genes are being passed on.

Wow, it never dawned on me that I could still donate my eggs even if I didn't want to have kids... I dunno tho... One of my main reasons for not having kids is that I'm screwed up ;) We still don't know how much of it is nature and how much is nurture... so I'd be afraid that I was putting a little me out into the world and people would not understand her weirdness... at least in my family we would understand ;) Anyway, I'm probably too old (35), no one wants rotten eggs!

Allison

I was 14 when I decided I didn't want children (I'm 25 now). I don't think my brother does either, so my mom is SOL on the grandchildren thing. I told her she would have grandkitties from me! :) My best friend feels the same way and I think she's felt that way as long as I have. My boyfriend feels the same way as well and neither of his siblings have or want to have children either. I feel kinda bad for my mom and his mom sometimes, I know they would like grandkids, but I'm not going to sacrifice my happiness and convictions for them.
I was very, very young; let's say about 2 or 3. I could see that my mother had to do so many things to care for me and she complained about it often, so I didn't want to be like her. ;)
As I've grown older, I think my decision of never having children has been the wisest -together with quitting my attendance to religious services.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
20 minutes ago
k.h. ky commented on Ruth Anthony-Gardner's group Hang With Friends
21 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Steph S.'s discussion Nepal's killing fields: FIVE THOUSAND buffalo lie slaughtered at the beginning of Hindu ceremony for hindu goddess
22 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Steph S.'s discussion Nepal's killing fields: FIVE THOUSAND buffalo lie slaughtered at the beginning of Hindu ceremony for hindu goddess
30 minutes ago
49 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
52 minutes ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Thomas Pietrocarli's discussion What if God revealed himself to you?
54 minutes ago
Patricia replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
1 hour ago
Atheist in FundyLand replied to Thomas Pietrocarli's discussion What if God revealed himself to you?
1 hour ago
The Flying Atheist replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
1 hour ago
Patricia replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
1 hour ago
The Flying Atheist replied to Visvakarman Svetasvatara-Upanish's discussion Do you guys know what tomorrow is?
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service