I was about five when I decided I'd rather raise kittens than children. Before that, I can't remember thinking anything concrete about bearing children. I know I was given dolls to play with, but there came a certain point when I was disappointed with dolls, and definitely wanted books instead.

At about nine, when a relative by marriage commented on how I'd make someone a good wife someday(because I'd baked gingerbread from a box mix), I retorted that I never wanted to get married. Their reaction was as if I'd suddenly sprouted horns, a forked tail, and my breath took on the distinct aroma of brimstone.

How about you?

Tags: childfree

Views: 406

Replies to This Discussion

Wouldn't it be cheaper just to make the vodka from the potatoes?
Yeah, but who drinks Idaho vodka? If I could find Russian potatoes.....
Being the oldest child of 4, it was about the time my sister arrived on the scene when I was about 4 years old that was when I decided I'd never have kids....:)
Sort of my situation too. I was the eldest of four, but five, seven, and nine years older than the others. I changed diapers when I was old enough... which may be what made me feel like I'd changed enough diapers in my life.
It has only been the last few years or so that I have decided not to have any kids.

I was interested in having one or two when I was younger (not that I am old), but I never wanted to be 45 and only then just having a kid , It is not for me. I now enjoy the extra freedom that decision has enabled me to have, my life is ultimately my own and I don't mind that. I like kids and I love my nieces to death, being an uncle is more then enough for me. Hopefully they will consider me to be the cool one once they are older.
Heh. After a certain point, I just wanted to be a doting auntie. One of the things I like about other people's kids is that they have to go back with the other people at some point.
Hmm... I guess you mean when they stop being fun. ;)

Yes I like that aspect of it as well.
I always wanted kittens rather than human babies, but unfortunately that was a biological impossibility. I live with cats now, but I don't see them as my children. I always tell people that if I'd wanted children, I would have had some.

I think it's wise to be open to the possibility of a mind change, but also wise not to feel obligated to do so.
I grew up with a daycare in our home. I have 2 younger sisters. I coached gymnastics from ages 16-27. I love coaching children and can relate to kids better than adults. I worked with kids in their accelerated reading groups at school. Baby sat for a week at a time while the parents went on ski trips. Even considered being a nanny after I stopped coaching. I like kids and I am passionate about what's good for children.
With all of that being said, I just don't want to ever have to come home to one! It's odd. I think I'd be a great parent, whether I was a single mom or married to a man or in a gay relationship. But, I don't think I need a kid to complete me. I enjoy being able to do things without having to worry about my responsibility to my child.
I'm 28 and hope to never get that "womanly urge" to have a child. It's just not rational to have a kid. I've donated my eggs 2 times (going on 3 right now!) and am satisfied that my wonderfully perfect genes are being passed on.

Wow, it never dawned on me that I could still donate my eggs even if I didn't want to have kids... I dunno tho... One of my main reasons for not having kids is that I'm screwed up ;) We still don't know how much of it is nature and how much is nurture... so I'd be afraid that I was putting a little me out into the world and people would not understand her weirdness... at least in my family we would understand ;) Anyway, I'm probably too old (35), no one wants rotten eggs!

Allison

I was 14 when I decided I didn't want children (I'm 25 now). I don't think my brother does either, so my mom is SOL on the grandchildren thing. I told her she would have grandkitties from me! :) My best friend feels the same way and I think she's felt that way as long as I have. My boyfriend feels the same way as well and neither of his siblings have or want to have children either. I feel kinda bad for my mom and his mom sometimes, I know they would like grandkids, but I'm not going to sacrifice my happiness and convictions for them.
I was very, very young; let's say about 2 or 3. I could see that my mother had to do so many things to care for me and she complained about it often, so I didn't want to be like her. ;)
As I've grown older, I think my decision of never having children has been the wisest -together with quitting my attendance to religious services.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service