I have noticed that "family" is thrown around with an increased frequency lately.  Companies can't plaster it into advertisements enough.  As if there are anti-famiily companies.  What does "family" company mean? 

I guess the family companies don't care about me, the single, childless gay.

In other news, I have noticed, in the last year, that local business tv commercials frequently encourage viewers to "attend the church of your choice."  That causes me to get out my phonebook (yes, I know that makes me sound 98, but I live in a smallish town where local phonebooks are still handy) and mark out businesses that suggest church attendance in ads.

Am I being too sensitive, or does this type of stuff irritate you?

Views: 248

Replies to This Discussion

Very nice.  I always love a Simpsons reference.

The emerging assumption of modern society is that raising children is a collective responsibility.  All adults are mutually responsible for everyone's children - whether the adult in question is pro-natalist or anti-natalist, straight or gay, married or single, rich or poor.  Once upon a time, raising kids was the parents' responsibility; no more.  Parental responsibility has become socialized, and the irony is that the greatest proponents of this are political conservatives - the very same people who clamor against socialization of essentially everything else.

I'm fine with special movies for kids, concerts for kids, restaurants for kids, festivals for kids, television programs for kids... there is the entertainment and recreation for adults, and then there is the special version for kids.  This used to be the case, even in the US - and ironically this was the case when fertility was higher (that is, more children born per woman).  The mainstream world was the world of adults.  The world for kids was separate and different, because kids have different needs, and those needs should not contaminate the needs and wants of adults.  Today there are fewer children per couple, but the overall pace and reference-point of society is more tailored towards the interests of those children.

You make good points.  Kid having people don't seem to mind inconveniencing me with their shitty kids.  A few months ago, I was downtown, listening to a really good string quartet.  It was about  8:00.  I was with about 10 other progressive atheists, all women, except for my fag.  Everything was delightful until a couple came in with two children who seemed to be 4 or 5.  They were instantly screaming and kicking chairs and running up and down the aisle.  I finally turned around and said, "If you don't get out of here or figure out a way to shut those things up, I'm going to do something in front of them that you aren't going to like."  They left. 

I'll pick your kid up if he or she is hurt, etc, but I refuse to be subject to bad behavior at events that are for adults, especially when everybody is being disturbed but is to "polite" to say anything.

Oh yeah I know what you mean. We'll be at a nice restaurant and we will have to listen to screaming babies and children running all over the place. Have you been to the Alamo Drafthouse? They are really good at removing loud people and kids aren't allowed --only during kid time. This is about the only theater we go to now because they actually remove loud/texting,etc. people.

I've been to the Alamo Drafthouse.  Always a good experience, so far.  I hear they will kick you out for phone action.  Awesome!

Yes Dr. Kellie they will kick you out for using your phone -- it's happened before. Gotta love the Alamo Drafthouse!

Screaming, misbehaving children are on a list. I call it "shit that ruins good entertainment" list.

Things on this list ruin Classical or Jazz concerts, Movies, and Live Theatre.

-Those people who text, play games on, or otherwise USE their cellphones FOR ANYTHING.

-That group of people who came and keep chatting to one another--they think their whispering isn't distracting--IT IS.

-Kids, who won't stay still. And every five seconds I see that damn kid move around in the aisle or across the way and instead of focusing on the lovely music or the great rendition of Henry V, I'm focused on the child who refuses to sit in his seat.

-Noise, from younger children. that 2 year old who's mom didn't feed or drug him before hand even though they know the 2 year old can't be quiet for longer than 5 minutes at a time. I was a midnight showing of Watchmen and nearly half of the movie involved a baby screaming near the front. I also saw some really young(7-10yr) boys at this R-rated movie...at midnight.

-That moron who talks to the movie or the play, and/or asks questions during it. To the movie. While it's showing. Like "Why are you doing that?!" "what happens now?!"

-Phone. Calls. During. The. Movie. As in taking an entire phone call. During it. In their chair.

-Eating smuggled movie food during the movie. I can see silhouttes and sometimes, people are eating corndogs. sometimes, people are eating clam chowder. And sometimes, I want to confiscate their food, throw it away, and tell them to eat before or after, if they can't eat movie food but must have something to eat.

And this is why I don't go to movies anymore around here. Sadly there isn't an Alamo Drafthouse nearby, but from the HILARIOUS "turn your phone off, don't text during the movie" clip I saw once--I have a feeling I'd gladly give them my money if there was one. 

LoL, people who can't whisper...!

Believe it or not, I have met adults who (for real) never learned to whisper, or never became able to. It happens to me all the time when I'm in a concert/movie with a friend and they'll say something in a small voice, and I'll answer in a whisper, and they'll come back with a small voice, and I come back with a whisper...etc... then I look at my friend (s) and say... can't you whisper? And they don't understand that whispering means using NO voice.

Anywho... it's one of my big things I teach youth of any age when I'm subbing is to WHISPER. I explain that whispering means no voice, and  make them practice a lot. I even hint that if they really succeed at the skill, they might get away with much more...

I know what you mean Jonel. We happened to visit another theatre to watch Mission Impossible and the people behind us were opening all sorts of bags ( I think it was potato chips) and opening cans - I think they must of brought their entire dinner to eat during the movie. Anyway, we had to listen to loud crunches and noises throughout the movie. We decided we should just stick to the Alamo Drafthouse after that.

Thanks, Francois.  The "thing" I was going to do was make out with the girl sitting next to me.  Sometimes, being gay has perks.

Except that historically that isn't really true. Throughout Homo sapiens millions of years of evolution, two-parent systems were not really a concept. Nor was paternity even considered until recently (5-7000 yrs). Parenting was always a 'community' task. Before modern times, humans lived in tribal settings, which had a high degree of blood relations. A lot of what today's societies attempt to assume lifestyle-wise is often comparing only the last couple of thousand years. But our evolutionary biology has much more of a history, and every time we attempt to move farther and farther away from our biological natures, the less evolutionarily prepared we are for the said lifestyle choice. Yes we can attempt any lifestyle, but our bodies/chemistry are evolved for certain lifestyles (the opposite of spending many hours/day sitting) and the ills that we suffer in masses of are symptoms of our skewed lifestyle choices. (and by lifestyle choice I'm not talking about sexual preferences :)

Very true, but I think the point we were trying to make was about modern times.  In the 60s and 70s, people kept their shitty kids at home, or at least felt obligated to encourage their kids to behave in public.  I haven't noticed that trend in the last ten years.  But, then, I live in Texas.  Kid central.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service