Books, movies, and documentaries about singers, musicians, and bands

Does anybody have any books, movies, or documentaries about certain singers, musicians, bands, or musical genres they would like to recommend for the rest of us?

The only things I can recall seeing are the movie The Doors, starring Val Kilmer, which I thought was excellent, and the documentary on Roy Orbison called Roy Orbison: The Anthology.

The Doors was very good I thought, and I don’t think they could have chosen a better actor for the part of Jim Morrison than Val Kilmer.

I never saw Walk the Line, but I heard it was a decent movie. I am inclined to think something on Janis Joplin would be interesting, but I don’t recall ever hearing of any movie being made about her life.

The only books on music I’ve read have been Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground, and Marilyn Manson’s biography, The Long Hard Road Out of Hell. I thought both of these books were very interesting and I enjoyed reading them.

What have you read or seen that might be of interest?

Tags: bands, books, documentaries, film, movies, music, musicians

Views: 110

Replies to This Discussion

I'd recommend anything written by Henry Rollins. "Get in the Van: On the Road with Black Flag" is great if you're looking for touring stories.
Oh yes, I forgot about Henry Rollins. A month or so ago people were talking about his books on another site.
I second the Henry Rollins suggestion. Also, if you like that scene, check out American Hardcore.

Have you seen 24 Hour Party People? It is about the early days of bands like Joy Division. Rockstar is based off of the story of Judas Priest, but it's not a great movie by any means. Don't get me wrong, it does have its moments - one or two of them, anyway.

Also, I am a huge fan of Almost Famous. It isn't about a particular band, but more about Cameron Crowe's experience as a young man writing for Rolling Stone and following bands around. If you like Cameron Crowe, check out Singles, as well.

Other great (and some not so great) music films:
This is Spinal Tap
Immortal Beloved
Crossroads - not the Britney flick, but the Ralph Macchio one
Beat Street and Breakin' - both films about breakdancing
That Thing You Do
Be Cool - more of a comedy about gangsters with a plot surrounding a musician
Crazy Heart - haven't seen it, but Jeff Bridges just won an Oscar for his performance
Johnny Suede
Crybaby
Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man
I'm not There - interesting film about Bob Dylan
Sid and Nancy and The Filth and the Fury - both about the Sex Pistols
Hated - about GG Allin and the Murder Junkies - very disturbing to watch!

And, of course, any of The Beatles' films.

Rudy Sarzo just rereleased his autobiography about his days playing with Ozzy and Randy Rhoads. I think it's called Off the Rails. Motley Crue's biography is decent reading, if you are into that 80's rockstar stuff.

I'm sure I'm missing a lot of good stuff, though.
Johnny Suede makes me want to bang my head on a brick wall. I have tried to watch that movie on at least a dozen occasions, but I can't get through it. It makes me so angry too, because Nick Cave is in it, so I want to like it, but dammit... I don't know. I still have the DVD, maybe I'll try again this weekend.
Thanks Randy. I have seen Sid and Nancy and Hated. Forgot about those. As for the rest, I've seen some of those titles, but haven't seen any of them. I'll keep this list. Thanks again.
I forgot to add Velvet Goldmine!
Oh, me too! I have seen that. That was a good movie.
Oh yeah! I saw "Dig!," which was one fuct up film. The film either depicts BJM to be total tools, or they are total tools.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service