Issa Bagayogo

Issa Bagayogo is from the country and his first and foremost a peasant. Born in 1961 in Korin, a small village 65 kilometres from Bougouni (home town of Nahawa Doumbia, the region’s best known singer), Issa used to hoe millet (daba in bambara) in a ten hectare field with the family of father and his father’s four wives. As the son of his father’s first wife, Issa lived along with fifteen of his children. In all, some twenty people lived in the field.

On the musical front, Issa first learned to play the daro, a sort of rustic iron bell that used to be rung noisilly behind farm workers to goad them into action. At the age of 12 ? he began learning the kamele n’goni (the young Malian’s guitar) as well as singing (a bit like everybody there’s always a kamele n’goni lying around somwhere).

Read the rest on his site.

Tags: Issa Bagayogo

Views: 0

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I looove Malian music. What do you think of Rokia Traoré? (you'll have to register to listen to her music, but it's well worth it imo)

(btw, seems like your tags are pretty messed up)
Not that familiar with Malian, but ran across him on a BBC music show. I'll check out Traore when I can. Don't want to register for yet another site, but I will check YouTube, Amazon.com, or my library.

I fixed the tags. Thanks.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service