Sad news for Texans

News
Sonogram Bill Enforcable During Lawsuit

January 10, 2012 4:10 pm by: Andrew Uhler

An appeals court ruled Tuesday that Texas's sonogram law can be enforced, while pending lawsuits are decided. Image courtesy Texas Tribune.

A U.S. Appeals Court in New Orleans ruled today that Texas can enforce a law requiring doctors to show sonogram images to women seeking abortions.

Lawmakers approved the bill last May. In August, a federal judge in Austin decided that the law violated the First Amendment right of a doctor’s free speech.

“We’re extremely disappointed with today’s decision by the Fifth Circuit [Court of Appeals],” said Nancy Northup with the Center for Reproductive Rights, the group that filed the initial suit against the law. “Texas’s mandatory ultrasound law is one of the most extreme in the nation. And it forces women to hear information and to view information even when they don’t want to.”

In a statement this afternoon, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott praised the decision. So did Jonathan Saenz with the Liberty Institute, a conservative legal advocacy group.

“This is one of the most important for informed consent for women seeking an abortion,” Saenz said. “At the end of it all, women and unborn children in Texas are safer today because of this decision, and they’re no longer subject to the abuse of abortion doctors who deny women critical medical information.”

The Center for Reproductive Rights says other lawsuits challenging the sonogram bill will move forward.

http://kut.org/2012/01/sonogram-bill-enforcable-during-lawsuit/

Views: 25

Replies to This Discussion

Steph,

Sad for Texans and I am sad there were no replies to your post back in Feb.  I am an active supporter of a woman's right to choose to have an abortion for any reason she chooses - regardless of what anyone else might think of her choice.  The main word being choice.

Having worked in abortion care in Texas, this law just damn near dropped us in the floor at the clinic.  We were already doing these types of ultrasounds - for our doctor.  The woman never had to look and we sure as hell never put a monitor to listen for a heartbeat.  That is so disturbing.  In fact, some women would ask if we could tell the gender, which we usually could, but would never tell her that.  To us it was a form of self flagelation for her "choice" and we weren't playing.

I don't know if you are a podcast listener, but if you are and you aren't already listening - give Godless Bitches a listen.  Those woman are top notch in info because they are so damn smart!

Great, great, great to be on here.

Peace,

Becky

I am a podcast listener  -- I will add Godless Bitches to my subscribed list on iTunes. I was also wondering why I had no replies ... I guess it was overlooked somehow. I am also an active supporter of a women's right to choose. Becky thanks for your reply to my discussion and your support.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service