I started a new job a couple of months ago and they're full of christians.  One employee came to work with a "Ash Cross" across his forehead.

He asked me if I gave up anything for Lent.  I said I gave up religion, jesus and xtianity for Lent.  Several co-workers laughed.

Last week they was discussing religion (aka I am more inclined to be Catholic even though I am not Catholic. ?????????????).  The question was asked of me as to what my religion is.

I said, I am a born again agnotistic, atheist heathen.  In other words, I don't have a religion and I don't want one.  My supervisor said, I hope you are just kidding.  I said, hell no.  Do you want to hear when I threatened to kill the mother of god?

Friday, someone put a post card announcing some xtian program at their church. 

I used it to wipe the bird shit off someone's car.

Views: 81

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't expect it to end with that, and I suspect you don't expect it to, either.

Eventually, this will likely come to a head.  Just as a suggestion, you could try this:

Look, I'm an atheist, and there isn't a single argument you can bring which is going to change my mind about that.  Conversely, I haven't the slightest interest in attempting to "convert" you to my way of thinking.  It doesn't work that way from where I sit.  I just want to do my job and be effective at it.  I'm asking you to respect that and me.

Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but it's worth a shot.

Really good response, Loren.  I live in a subdivision - heck, a city - well, a state where I'm surrounded by Christians, with crosses in some yards and signs of every kind proclaiming their beliefs.  Texas is in the heart of it all. 

Regina, I'd like to meet you sometime.  I live in Bastrop and come into Houston occasionally,  though I prefer not to.  LOL

I understand how you feel about being surrounded by "them." Wish they would just keep it to themselves.

The copier was acting up last week and I reported it to the supervisor.  I was told by a co-worker that I should pray over it.  I gave her your response and now she is telling everyone that she has a problem working with me.

We work in the same department but my job has absolutely nothing to do with hers.  I will keep you posted.

Desk.  He is no longer with the company.  It was his replacement that put the card on my desk.  She also told me to pray because the copier was acting up.

UPDATE:

I no longer work for that company.  My last day was Feb. 4.  I am more at ease and I sleep very well.

Brava, Regina.  Any outfit whose employees suggest you pray over a broken copy machine has SERIOUS problems.  I can attest to that, as I worked as a field service engineer for 30 years, and I can tell you as an expert (as though you need to hear this!) that prayer as a troubleshooting tool works about as well as a hole in the head.

Glad you're sleeping better, too!

It's actually very funny to suggest praying to solve the problems of a copy machine. 

I would probably crack up if somebody suggested that.  Then say something, choked out between giggles, like "maybe we should look at the instruction manual". 

Sometimes prayer does inspire people to inventive answers.  I saw a 48 hours episode that moved me a lot.  It was about a woman who was imprisoned in the trunk of a car by a man who was abducting her and had tied her hands behind her back.  She prayed, desperately - managed to bust her hands loose, then got inspired about getting out - she found a latch inside she could undo or something like that.  The guy stopped because the trunk lid had swung open, and she ran for her life. 

It wasn't her escape that moved me so much, but what happened after.   The police didn't believe her.  The guy who had abducted her was very good at leaving no forensic evidence.  She was horribly traumatized, and terrified that he would come back for her. 

But eventually the guy slipped up and they caught him.  He had murdered 8 women as I remember - and she was the only one who got away. 

But a copier ... doesn't seem like cause for desperation.  It's relatively simple to deal with toner and paper tray issues.  

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service