I have always loved the smell of desert rain.  I am not 100% sure what causes that unique smell to this region, but I had missed it for many years when I lived up North.  It's raining today and it is good to be home.  Does anyone know what I am talking about, or more specifically what causes the unique aroma?  I have heard it's the Creosote bush, but I do not know for sure.

Views: 76

Replies to This Discussion

Yep...creosote bush (otherwise known as Chaparral) has an oily type of leaf that releases it's aroma when it rains here. I missed it like crazy too when I moved to Jersey for a couple years.

Thanks eintob, now if only they made air fresheners for my car with that sent...i know it wouldn't be the same but it would still be nice.

I don't know what causes the smell but I do know it's great when you are hiking and it starts to pour, the smells are great and the desert animals are very active. It's definitely worth getting soaked over.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Čenek Sekavec replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Human Genome 45,000 years old reconstructed in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
6 minutes ago
Joan Denoo posted blog posts
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Human Genome 45,000 years old reconstructed in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Future commented on Čenek Sekavec's blog post What is your favorite bible verse?
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo liked Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Human Genome 45,000 years old reconstructed
1 hour ago
jlaz replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
1 hour ago
jlaz replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
1 hour ago
Joan Denoo commented on Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
sk8eycat commented on Former Pastor's blog post Divorcing The Church
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
booklover replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
1 hour ago
booklover replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service