I feel that Holmes has strong misanthropic tendencies. At times it is all that our hero can do to tolerate the people around him. I would go as far as to say that Holmes has some sociopathic characteristics. This makes his character fascinating and compeling. The feeling is that Holmes may go completely mad at times. His genius places him at a dangeous threshhold. He can go up against someone like Moriarty because Holmes has it within him to be Moriarty. His sense of justice maintains his order, but the audience is never quite sure if that will hold.  

Views: 198

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Reason Voyager,

I had to look up what misanthropic means. 

Merriam-Webster says:

Definition of MISANTHROPIC

1: of, relating to, or characteristic of a misanthrope
2: marked by a hatred or contempt for humankind

There are drastic differences in the Ronald Howard portrayal when compared to the Jeremy Brett portrayal. 

I haven't seen Jeremy's episodes in a few years, but I am currently watching Ronald Howard's episodes, so it is fresh in my mind:

Sherlock is a good natured person who is also very curious. He is always experimenting. He does not denigrate anyone, but seems to be genuinely surprised when others don't see what he sees. He is playful.

I'm not much of a writer, and I do not have practice thinking about characters, so my description is short. I hope it helps someone.

Cane,

Thanks for the addition. I watched some of your link to Ronald Howard. It looks like fun. It is a different take, but I like Holmes in different forms. What does is say about me, that I am interested in Holme's darker side? :) :) ;)

Well, let me guess. You are interested in Holme's darker side because you are comfortable with the darker side of people. Why would you be comfortable? Much exposure?

You may be onto something there :) :) :)

I would agree, but to a misanthrope to someone in Holme's position is like a mechanical engineer with Asperger's syndrome. 

I call it an asset.

Is Holmes a misanthrope?  On the contrary, he needs human beings.  The deeds humanity do to each other, are his meat and drink.  He couldn't survive, in any other setting.  To rise to the challenge is his reason to live.  Aspergers -lite maybe.  his interest in humanity is rather narrowly focused, but he has the social skills to deal  benevolently, and politely with those around him.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service