Hi I am doing a piece on STDs and abstinence if anyone knows about material on the subject could you please get in contact.

Views: 56

Replies to This Discussion

oh boy, off the top of my head, I'd say abstinence - in an atheist context - is completely ridiculous, however if your paper is dealing with religious abstinence, then that's another thing. In a historical religious context, it is my opinion that the main unstated objective of abstinence was control over women, in order to keep women from having choices, to get them married to subpar men who beat them and give them no pleasure in life.

STDs (discounting AIDS) were never the social/medical problem the health industry made them out to be. I think the 80s STD hysteria was akin to terrorism hysteria today, way less dangerous than popularised. Statistics from this week (CBC radio) reveal that people shying away from flying because of a fear of air terrorism have actually increased their risk of death because road travel is that much more deadly than air travel, even with terrorism. Even accounting for the health risks, I think that the benefits of a free society that engage freely in sex far outweigh the health consequences. I'd rather a small population of happily fornicating humans than a huge population of monks!

I've always had a saying: People busy in bed will have less time to enslave others and destroy the planet and follow their greedy little instincts! Give me a freaky Jamaican over an ambitious North American any day. Sex is so much more fulfilling than career and wealth! Look at all the lonely people in our society, all the people who don't have physical contact on a daily basis, they become Columbine killers... Even people in relationships sometimes pursue their previous pattern of non-contact, which ends up ruining their marriage...

It is a sad thing indeed.
You're right: sex is more fulfilling than career and wealth (though I could sure do with a bit of wealth right about now). No wonder I was never that ambitious in career: I'm always more interested in the latest person I have a crush on. Gee, which is more interesting--slaving away for a corporation, or getting it on?!

As far as STD hysteria, do you mean that STDs are not the usual cited 1-in-4 or whatever it is, or do you mean that the STDs that are most common are not that big a deal? It is true that many STDs are curable. The most common one (herpes) isn't curable, but it also isn't really all that harmful. Apparently the worst thing about it is that people won't want to have sex with you b/c they're afraid of getting it and having other people not want to have sex with them b/c those people are afraid of getting it and having other people not want to have sex with them. With this, most people are hysterical, and actually the medical establishment just says it's very common.
Contact your local Planned Parenthood. They have an education department that would probably be more than happy to provide you with all the literature you need regarding safe sex and STIs (sexually transmitted infections - they're not all diseases).
I am interested in how abstinence in a religious settings affects STD rates, I've heard that they are generally higher as people aren't taught about sexual health. What I want to know is about general stats and studies done on this. In general compared to people taught sex ed what are the rates of STDs.

Too many variable in trying to actually finding the truth.  People who have ways and means don't have to be subjected to public scrutiny because they can buy their way to what they want or need.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

sk8eycat replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
4 minutes ago
Gwaithmir replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
8 minutes ago
sk8eycat replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
11 minutes ago
matthew greenberg replied to James M. Martin's discussion Clown Show Coming: Why the Republitards Will Lose in 2016 Unless They Wise Up and Pick a Charismatic Candidate
16 minutes ago
Daniel W (Sentient Biped) replied to Daniel W (Sentient Biped)'s discussion Upscale Sodomites Spread Ebola @ Starbucks!
17 minutes ago
sk8eycat added a discussion to the group Politics, Economics, and Religion
24 minutes ago
Raquel Fernando replied to James M. Martin's discussion Godless Millenials May Chart the Course for Ending Far Right Religiousity
28 minutes ago
Daniel W (Sentient Biped) commented on Claire Donnelly's group LGBTQI atheists, nontheists, and friends
32 minutes ago
Nick Bottom replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
32 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
34 minutes ago
Daniel W (Sentient Biped) commented on Joan Denoo's blog post Feminism
34 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion Raëlian DNA research project: Science proves that consecrated wafers are still wheat and not Jesus
42 minutes ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service