Women Would Rather Facebook Than Have Sex With Husbands, Says Valen...

A new survey by the women's lifestyle site iVillage indicates that two-thirds of married women would almost rather do anything than have sex with their men.

Nearly four out of five (78 percent) married women say their sex lives are predictable

Views: 84

Replies to This Discussion

Being gay is awesome.

I don't know...I keep hearing about this "lesbian bed death" thing but I wouldn't know b/c I haven't had a long-term relationship with a woman...

I don't stay in relationships long enough for that to happen:)

Hmm...the article is implying it is men's fault for not being good enough in bed and all that. It usually isn't pc to imply it's women's fault if the guy cheats.

They would rather facebook? This is funny, I wouldn't rather facebook but I do remember being engrossed in writing a book, and my husband trying to get me to have more sex, and thinking something like "aww! I already did it once today!" I may have also been on medicine that made me hate sex, at the time.

Why ought we to regard predictability as a bad thing?  I would rather like modest but predictable annual returns on my investments, than exhilarating growth followed by devastating collapse, as we have had in the past 20 years.  I would rather see slow but steady improvements in my endurance and fat-burn when pursuing an exercise program, than wild oscillations from week to week when stepping on the scale.  I would rather drive a car that accelerates smoothly without lurching or bogging at low rpms, only to zoom ferociously towards red-line.  And I would rather have a mate who is reliable and steadfast, without explosions in exotic redirections of taste, or sudden realignment of personal desires.  Sex OUGHT to be predictable; why should I crave exasperation and unsettlement through surprise?  We already have enough sudden and spontaneous changes in our lives.  From my mate I would seek comfort and encouragement, composure and gentle warmth.  If this is no longer realistic in marriage, then why should we bother getting married?

Eh, I never put much faith (ha!) in polls like this.  Only 1,001 married women were polled, so there could be huge variances between groups should the poll be given again...and I'm sure it will.  Admittedly, I would have rather done many other things instead of sex when I was married, but now that is not the case.  180 degree turn and I don't live with my boyfriend, so it doesn't happen nearly as often as either of us would like.  I do believe there is a difference for many couples once they tie the knot.  I wonder what type of results they would have found had they polled dating couples?  I thought it was very sad that almost 1/4 of women would cheat if they knew their husband would never find out :(  In my opinion, it shows we have along way to go regarding sex education, communication, self esteem, and respect for our significant other/spouse.  Could part of the problem be lack of communication in every day aspects of relationships and a fear of sharing our feelings about likes and dislikes regarding sex?

Certainly part of the problem is lack of communication and the old saw about "familiarity breeds contempt".  These are all indelible aspects of human nature.  But what can be changed, I think, is societal mores, and how they influence our view of marriage.  If mainstream society somehow remains clinging to the belief that sex outside of marriage is "sinful" and therefore enjoys the aura of forbidden fruit, then consequently sex within marriage becomes some pedestrian chore, stripped of mystery or titillation.  If sex outside of marriage is a surreptitious tryst, sex within marriage is just going about one's daily labor, like emptying the trash or cooking supper.  Mainstream society's idealization of marriage actually cheapens it.  If we take marriage off of its pedestal as "holy matrimony", then perhaps married couples would not feel that sex within marriage is some insipid filling-of-squares, but something to be cherished.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
18 minutes ago
Freethinker31 commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
40 minutes ago
Dr. Allan H. Clark replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
k.h. ky replied to Sentient Biped's discussion Flying Spaghetti Monster invades heaven.
1 hour ago
k.h. ky replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Ruth Anthony-Gardner commented on Little Name Atheist's group Atheist Ailurophiles
1 hour ago
Tara Toleman joined John Tidwell's group
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
1 hour ago
Sentient Biped replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Christine replied to Sentient Biped's discussion If Atheists spoke to religious people the way religious people speak to atheists"
2 hours ago
Christine replied to sflmac's discussion God cured Doctor's Ebola disease.
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service