Hawaii sex-ed to be "opt-in", over fears of "normalizing" homosexuality

After a months-long campaign by a virulently anti-gay Republican state legislator, parents of Hawaii middle school students will have to specifically opt in for their children to attend sex education classes!

From Think Progress:

This Lawmaker Complained Sex Education Was ‘Normalizing’ Homosexuality And His State Took Action
by Judd Legum June 7, 2014

A middle school sex ed program will only be taught to Hawaii students if parents explicitly opt-in, the state Department of Education said today. The announcement was the culmination of a long campaign by a virulently anti-gay state legislator who objected that the program was “normalizing” homosexuality.

Hawaii State Rep. Bob McDermott considers gay sex “aberrant behavior” and has been fighting to eliminate the sex ed program, called Pono Choices, for months. McDermott believes that men should “not have anal sex” and “also has problems with oral sex.”

[...]

McDermott was particuarly fixated on the fact that curriculum included “anus” in the category of “genitalia.” [...] The medical professionals on the volunteer panel noted that classification was common in certain areas of medicine, such as dermatology. The panel did, however, suggest some clarifying language.

It doesn’t appear to be a good time for Hawaii to be cutting back on sex education. The state has a significant teen pregnancy issue, with nearly 10% of girls becoming pregnant between the ages of 15 and 19. Just “54 percent of Hawaii’s high school students reported using condoms the last time they had intercourse,” the lowest rate in the nation.

McDermott has also sued to overturn marriage equality in Hawaii and objected to teachers participating in a tolerance program created by the Southern Poverty Law Center.

(Emphases mine. Read the entire article at Think Progress Health; or coverage at PinkNews, or Associated Press)

Tags: STDs, anti-gay, ignorance, opt-in, sex ed, sex education, teen pregnancy

Views: 48

Replies to This Discussion

"McDermott ... has problems with oral sex" ... as in GETTING some?!?  Merde, I'd call him a Neanderthal, except I'd probably be insulting Neanderthals.

Perhaps! (And agreed about Neanderthals!)

Wasn't there a study that found that quite a few straight-identified homophobic men (but not non-homophobes) were actually aroused by homoerotic images?

In any case, I hope he gets what he needs, without infringing on the lives, health, or freedom of the rest of us!

Sounds like Sparky McDermott has problems with sex  - period.  I know I probably shouldn't say this, as it will lead to mental images none of us want. But, you've got to wonder what just what this self hating, bigoted asshole, and people like him, do when they get behind closed doors. I'm thinking something slightly beyond barbed wire pasties, a pygmy goat, and a bicycle. 

You forgot the rubber duck!

Ducks? Sure. Rubbers? If he's Catholic, those are strictly verboten.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service