Doctor: Pubic Hair Exists for a Reason -- Our Obsession With Hairle...

Pubic hair removal naturally irritates and inflames the hair follicles left behind, leaving microscopic open wounds.

When that irritation is combined with the warm moist environment of the genitals, it becomes a happy culture media for some of the nastiest of bacterial pathogens, namely group A streptococcus, staphylococcus aureus and its recently mutated cousin methicillin resistant staph aureus (MRSA). There is an increase in staph boils and abscesses, necessitating incisions to drain the infection, resulting in scarring that can be significant.   It is not at all unusual to find pustules and other hair follicle inflammation papules on shaved genitals.

Tags: shaving genital region

Views: 375

Replies to This Discussion

What about guys shaving?

The article doesn't exempt guys, Joseph. Surely you noticed the mention of scrotum, which we gals ain't got.

I didn't know this thanks. I know hair removal is very popular.

Hair removal in warm climates has existed for several millennia. IMO this article smells like pure paranoya about "moral" values, or something to come out of that ridiculous "Doctors" TV show. The article 'blaiming' Hollywood is simply ridiculous. Genital hair removal is an old traditional practice. As long as people do it to themselves it is not an issue! Unlike circumcision which is practiced on infants by religious idiots. There are plenty of morality-religious inclined ridiculous docs out there in the world and this Emily Gibson sounds like one of them.

I will confess I read Alternet for two years, a few years ago, and eventually had to quit because of the sheer volume of nonsense and unsubstantiated "science" that is spewed on that website. It eventually reminded me of that lunatic conspiracy guy, Art Bell. They represent, to the left, what the Tea Party represents to the right. Sadly, I think we'd be better off without such poor journalism.

I've been removing calf and pubic hair since I was 14. Frankly I looked like a gorilla, the hairs were two inches long, coarse, and tightly packed. I used hot waxes, which relax the follicule, allowing an easier release of the hair, until I was about 35. Then, while down in Florida, I purchased laser treatments, now most of my annoying hairs are gone... pubic area (front and back), calves, armpit, and nape.

I no longer have to deal with the annoyance of hair removal. It is a major plus for odor reduction and comfort. I haven't used panties since the age of 17 and my vulva breathes much easier since I've also removed that thick forest. I have been a commuting cyclist most of my life, wearing specialty cycling shorts. You can not believe the increase in comfort of cycling without a 2-inch braid of hair RUBBING from one side to the other while pedaling. Of course, I'm not a skirt wearer, but on the rare times I do, I get thigh chafing, but I've NEVER had pube chaffing.

I am a very frugal person, I earn little money, take lots of personal time, and am thrifty with the little money I have. I usually keep it for travel. I've had only a couple expenses over 1000$ in my life. A few plane tickets, one car, two computers, laser eye surgery, and laser hair removal. They were all excellent investments.

Once you've used laser treatment, the issue of infection goes away. I hadn't thought of that.

My last girlfriend had a hairless pubic region and used to get bikini waxed on a regular basis. She never complained of any ill effects and I never observed any during our 3-year relationship.

Indeed, a majority of women who are waxed to do not have any problems. Anyone having any such problems has either dealt with a very dirty salon, or has immune deficiencies... albeit, immune deficiencies seem to be more and more prevalent in Western societies.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service