I just saw Avatar in IMAX 3D. The 3D process is great. Even though the tickets are incredibly expensive, see it this way if you at all can. It's really a beautiful treat for the eyes.

Don't worry about the story. It's Dances With Wolves meets Dune. It will impress a lot of non-sf people with the imagination of sf. I'm sure it will earn James Cameron back the phenomenal amount of money that was spent on it. Most important, I hope the technology will trickle down into other film-making so that more imaginative stories can eventually be filmed.

I had fun. Go for the visual experience, and don't expect to think too hard.

Tags: 3-D, avatar., cameron, film., james, movoies

Views: 67

Replies to This Discussion

I have never noticed this great nipple controversy!

Now you guys will have me watching every animated/cgi flick looking for hidden nipple innuendo.
It's dogma I tell you. Pure dogma! On top of that, the dogma wears pants, but the duck does not!
But he does wrap a towel around his waist when he gets out of the shower.
True. Now I'm a bit creeped out by his general nether nudity. Ewwwwww.....
Most plots are formulaic, too. (Sometimes I wonder if we've run out of new stories?) Anyway, it was beautiful, and unlike Dances with Wolves (AND unlike real life) it ended happily.
Once again, I'm well behind the band wagon on this one. I saw this about a month ago, and I'd have to agree with Stephen on this one. The movie looks incredible, especially on IMAX. The story though is the same thing we've seen before in movies like Ferngully, Dances with Wolves, Pocahontas. It's pretty standard, but where those movies dragged quite a bit and had terrible pacing, Avatar was quite a bit more engaging. It's almost three hours long but it certainly doesn't feel like it. I don't hate it as much as some people do, I'll just say that it's a fun film to watch but once the whole 3D craze wears off (hopefully soon, I hate 3D) this movie will probably fall out of popularity quickly.
Did anyone think the main villain (I don't remember his name) was hilarious? He was just such a ridiculously cliche macho military man!
He was great wasn't he?

Sad thing is, as much of a walking cliche as he is, those people very much exist. Every movement, every word out of their mouths is designed to look like the very cliche they're emulating.
My thought on this movie was that it found a factual way to explain the concept of "Gaia". Previously I had read many books about a planet with consciousness or how a planet is a self contained entity, but this was a new way of explaining it. I am not talking about the "spirit ancestors" or whatever, more about the neurological links connecting all the flora and fauna, creating an energy network that the whole planet depends on. Whether Cameron intended to propose an alternative explanation for Gaia-theory or not, I think it turned out as such. Very cool!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service