In Rebecca Watson's experience a blog comment by Richard Dawkins encourages Atheist men to harass Atheist women, particularly feminists who speak out. I've lost respect for him.

... he left this sarcastic comment on a friend’s blog:

Dear Muslima

Stop whining, will you. Yes, yes, I know you had your genitals mutilated with a razor blade, and … yawn … don't tell me yet again, I know you aren't allowed to drive a car, and you can't leave the house without a male relative, and your husband is allowed to beat you, and you'll be stoned to death if you commit adultery. But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American sisters have to put up with.

Only this week I heard of one, she calls herself Skep"chick", and do you know what happened to her? A man in a hotel elevator invited her back to his room for coffee. I am not exaggerating. He really did. He invited her back to his room for coffee. Of course she said no, and of course he didn't lay a finger on her, but even so …

And you, Muslima, think you have misogyny to complain about! For goodness sake grow up, or at least grow a thicker skin.

Richard

Tags: gender bias, misogeny in Atheism, sexual harassment

Views: 370

Replies to This Discussion

I like him just fine - I am sure it was just human error or an oversight - and don't tell us what to do.

WE can discuss whatever we want.

No - I am staying here. So there!!

We don't exclude people from Atheist Nexus because they lose respect for one prominent Atheist, Chris. People are encouraged to have open discussions without being rejected. You remember free speech, right? Everyone has learning curves on all sorts of moral issues, there are so many moral issues. If we aren't allowed to make mistakes and learn from them, how can we grow?

I find a nonjudgmental back and forth interesting. It's energizing to learn from one another, even if sometimes a bit painful.

Christ, you wrote, "the fact that there are atheist misogenists surprises me." I like your statement; it is honest, clear, and open for discussion. 

Are there atheist racists? sexists? homophobes? 
If I understand definitions, atheism means those who have no evidence of god or spiritual things;
atheist means one who has no such evidence. 

Race, gender, sexual orientation are not in the definition. Please correct me if I am wrong. 

I think the difference between theist and atheist is that atheists have no fear of heaven or hell, they have no "backup" power that takes care of them, they don't have access to wisdom from god because there is no god, there is only critical thinking, awareness, and compassion ... or they don't have those attributes; they just find no evidence of god or spirit. 

Thank you Ruth for your discussion. It is important to discuss things. You keep up the good work.

It seems I have been removed from this group. Why? I thought my responses have been honest, clear, and reflected my thinking and rationale. Have I offended someone? If so, please explain to it me.

Nobody is being removed, Joan.

I wonder why I received the notice. I know it would not have been you because you are straightforward and take action only after discussion. I never did think it was you, but I just wondered. Well, my messages seem to be getting through, and I am receiving them, so I assume it was just a glitch in the machine.
Thanks for your response. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service