I've never started a group anywhere before but I noticed that a group for this didn't exist yet and I think it's a really good idea.
My first thought was to provide a place for people who were victims of abuse to talk and share if they want to. There are various ways in which children are abused or neglected because of the religion claimed by their very own families. I think the most common and least talked about is the psychological trauma (such as the fear of hell or demons). Most famously is the sexual abuse perpetrated by Catholic priests. Some children are denied health care and others are beaten or made homeless because of sexual orientation. All of these things need to be talked about more often.
Of course, anyone who has concern for these issues is invited to participate! (Not just victims) Children are helpless and should be on the minds of everyone in a community.
I myself went through repeated traumatic events due to the fundamentalist religion I grew up in. Maybe sometime I'll post about those events.
Anyway, welcome to the group!

Views: 6

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you, Krista, for starting this group.

My experiences of abuse date from my early to mid-adolescence, and I intend to talk about them further, in a separate discussion, when I have time. They started out largely in response to my parents' divorce and the breakup of my mother's second marriage, but it soon changed to something that, frankly, was pure evil on their part, and traumatic for me--I shall discuss it all soon.

But thank you, anyway, for giving me this forum.

Phillip
Hey Phillip! Welcome to the group!
I was raised with crazy Baptist crap. I was about five or six-years-old when I started praying to Jesus every night, crying and begging him to let me die. I didn't kill myself because I knew suicide was a sin and would make me end up in Hell instead of Heaven.
I remember being depressed and having vague suicidal thoughts at around six or seven. But I wasn't taught that suicide would send you to hell, only that it was a sin to take control of what god should be in control of - you're time of death. My family was baptist too.
I was taught that a lot of things were a sin. I never bothered to look the sins up in the Bible, though. I just took the grown-ups word for it. They were the authority figures, and I just assumed they knew best. I used to pray to God for forgiveness literally all day long for every time I thought I had sinned. That included even thinking about a sin. I stopped believing when I was in high school, but I never tried anything with the girls there, and I didn't even drink alcohol until my 21st Birthday. lol I still probably sin less than most Christians do. I guess old habits die hard.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Michael Penn commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Let's guess what Cardinal Law is doing right now...
37 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
42 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
43 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
44 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
46 minutes ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
54 minutes ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
1 hour ago
Luara posted a discussion
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Book Two, Chapters 17-19 - An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

The series examining the books of Christian apologist Ray Comfort continues with a look at Chapters 17, 18, and 19 of Comfort's book, God Doesn't Believe in ...
2 hours ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
2 hours ago
Richard C Brown commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service