http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/davis_10423___article.html/gay_stu...

"We are a small, rural district in the Bible Belt with strong Christian beliefs and feel like homosexuality is wrong," said Steve Griffin, Holmes County's school superintendent, who keeps a Bible on his desk and framed Scriptures on his office walls.

Nothing like a good dose of old-fashion Bible-belt intolerance....

Tags: bigotry, gays, homophobia, rights

Views: 0

Replies to This Discussion

This is typical. I wouldn't have such a problem with religious people if they weren't so close-minded and intolerant. Even according to their own holy book, "God" gave us free will to make choices. There is just no end to the hypocrisy.....they will make excuses for their own though(see Ted Haggard).

So does a "small, rural district" preclude/trump one's own belief system? Ley, I've said it before, and I'll say it again - I'm so sorry you're having to endure this. I don't know why you're still there, but I'm in the same situation, at least as far as having to endure an area that is predominantly christian. We are where we are for certain reasons - I just keep dreaming of being somewhere else.
And I have no doubt this girl will be getting the hell out of dodge at the first possible moment. But that is besides the point. Neither the Ponce de Leon High School principle nor the Holmes County school superintendent get to se their positions to enforce religiously motivate bigotry. Intolerance of gays/atheists/liberals/etc is a fact of life in the rural bible belt. I understand that, and it does not matter in the least. As soon as you use a position of power to make that intolerance part of the system, then you have crossed a line.
This is what we all must do. We must be seen. We must be known. We must be brave. It won't be easy, but the more of us there are, the harder it will be for them to oppress up, to revile us, to hate us. We make up 15% of the US population. Let's make it look like it.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo added a discussion to the group Peter Boghossian
4 minutes ago
Joan Denoo joined Luara's group
9 minutes ago
Future posted a discussion
20 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
30 minutes ago
Freethinker31 replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
36 minutes ago
Richard Cahill commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
39 minutes ago
Terry Groff commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
44 minutes ago
Profile IconKatherine Williams, JR, Pandarius and 2 more joined Atheist Nexus
46 minutes ago
Idaho Spud commented on Donald R Barbera's blog post Things That Make You Go Hmmm . . . (Humor)
49 minutes ago
Richard Cahill commented on Ivy's group Atheist Humor
1 hour ago
Future replied to Pandarius's discussion When the solution is simple, God is answering. - Albert Einstein
1 hour ago
Seaburrito posted a status
"Getting started selling stuff using ebay, Man there's alot of technical procedures between paypal and ebay to navigate...."
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service