Hey, ya'll (all 4 of ya'll)! I'm new here (in Nexus) and since I'm just getting to know you, I was hoping I could get your stories. In which part of the belt do you live and WHY? I've been in Tulsa, Oklahoma with my husband and 4 year kid since about 6 weeks before the Gulf took up residence in our real home, New Orleans. We just wanted our kid to get to know his only surviving grandparents. We're now stuck here - at least until the school situation improves back home.

Views: 1

Replies to This Discussion

I currently reside in Charleston, South Carolina, but have spent the majority of my life in these areas: Blytheville, AR--St. Louis, MO---Athens, GA.
My parents are from Georgia, but my dad was a pilot in the Air Force so we moved around a bit. Somehow we always managed to stay in the south.....except for a 5 year stint in the Upper Penninsula of Michigan back in '84-'89. I would have to say that my worst experiences in the "Bible Belt" have been Arkansas and here (charleston).
Wow! Notre Dame Seminary! I have a friend who used to live across the street from it. Remember those gargoyle-dog-things out front (around a fountain?)? Her dog used to attack those things - thought they were REAL.
good ole OK... i was born, but not raised, here. definitely bible belt- we're like the friggin buckle, i think. my boss, a very respectable and well-known guy, has a plaque on his office wall in the shape of a cross w/ the letters spelling out "JESUS". it's only a small glimpse into the christian atmosphere i work in- overall, not too bad, but i'm just waiting for the moment when i slip up and out myself as an atheist and then we'll see what kind of reaction i get...
I was stationed at Fort Sill for about three years. I drove forty miles up to five times a week to go roller skating in a small town called Duncan. They tolerated me because they knew that I was military. Although I didn't see any blatant prejudices, the religious undertones were easy detected by nonbelievers. I was too young and uncaring to pay much attention to it. I found the native indian community much more open minded. They were sort of outcasts in the community though. I use to agitate the wife of the owner of the skating rink. During the song "American Woman" by the Guess Who, I would thrust my hips out during the appropriate bass drum hit. It was funny to watch them cover their eyes with their gapping mouths open. I was a sinner, pure (not so pure) and simple. LOL.
I heard that religion has gone rabid in N.O. since Katrina. I'm not sure going back is such a good idea.
Religion was always pretty rabid in a strange sort of way there. When we go back, it's still pretty much the same. However, living in a place is always different than visiting. I suspect that if there's a major difference, it would be the influence of the newcomers (post-Katrina workers). My guess would be Latinos, who are largely Catholic, as was pre-Katrina N.O. Do the two styles of Catholicism mesh? Probably not so much. I'm still ready to return.
I was born and raised in Northern Vermont. I have lived in NC since 1993. I live in a rural area where here to there are more chruches then gas stations. I pass 5 churches in a 10 mile stretch.

I don't even think that the Christians here even know that Atheists really exist. I am trying to change that though.
Mississippi, New Albany/Tupelo Area. I never left.
I've lived in Tulsa my entire life. Hope you're not having too horrible a time.

I actually grew up knowing the hatred of most fundies even before I became an atheist considering that I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness and therefore obviously wasn't a True ChristianTM. I can't tell you how many kids told me that Jesus hated me because I didn't celebrate Christmas (still don't).

Thankfully, I've finally been confident enough with myself to freely admit my atheism. Which in Tulsa, isn't always the easiest thing.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service