I was wondering how much of religious thought we atheists could agree with. Obviously all the metaphysical claims are right out. But there are some things here and there which are appealing. Its not ALL just awfully, horribly wrong. Perhaps we could start with the Golden Rule. Not sure if it was originally a religious thought, or if it did indeed come from Jesus. Most likely it came before, as with most things. Or something else then. Any thoughts?

Views: 38

Replies to This Discussion

I'd say what I can agree with in regards to religion is having ideas (not beliefs, ideas are easier to change) about things that are somewhat immaterial.  I like to think that if I'm good, good things will come to me.  No god necessary, though.  I like to think that humans have an intrinsic value (although when I rationalize it I don't agree) because it makes it easier to tolerate other people.  I like to think that there is some semblance of hope in regards to the human race (again, rationalizing it, I don't necessarily come to this conclusion) because it gives me a framework for making something of myself.  All of these things, whether truths in the strictest sense, seem to make life easier~ even when you know they aren't really true (the important part is knowing they aren't)  So I can agree with having basic ideas that make the framework of life easier to deal with, because working under the ultimate truth will only hinder things, not make them better. 

Just about everything else I disagree with.

Ah, you have just outlined the very essence of the existential dilemma. The logical conclusion of objective scrutiny of the meaning and purpose of our lives is that there isn't one, which is very de-motivating, which in turn takes away from, rather than adds to, the quality of our experiences, which is the subjective, intuitive meaning and purpose of life. There are two options (and then a third). Pretend that our lives really do have some sort of objective meaning, either just by feeling that it really does or by going a thousand steps further and creating a whole framework of ideas to enable us to continue to operate under this belief (religions), or gradually lose interest in life. The third option is trickier (I'm making it up). You can know that the objective point of life is to subjectively experience it well, and that there are some very specific things you can do in this regard which will have the effect of motivating you quite well.

I like this existential problem. Its fun.

Yeah, third option, accept that the only meaning life has (aside from the biological sense or reproduction) is the meaning you give it.  Religions go the opposite route and give you the meaning instead of letting you decide it for yourself.
After just listening to Obama talking about faith-based initiatives (and trying not to gag), I just realized that this is exactly the function of faith. Faith puts the lives of believers into perspective, allowing them to believe that they have a meaning and purpose when none really exists. We need to focus on this point as well, since arguing that faith just isn't epistemologically justified doesn't get very far. We need to show that it also isn't necessary from the existential point of view either. We can find meaning and purpose within life and its experiences, we don't need to go outside of reality to find it.

so start from nihilism and work our way out to purpose????

I love a challenge!

btw, just got another group approved called "Search Hounds" for people who like to do research, and people who need research done.

@Marc: I wanted to copy something that I posted in another discussion today. From the way you've defined "memoryplex", I think I may be witnessing in myself something pertinent to the idea. (I suspect Park saw this coming all along =)

This is the page it can be found on

The following is excerpted from one of my posts on that page:

It seems likely to me that obtaining solace during certain trying times through thoughts of an afterlife has become reflexive for me because of years of patterning. So to consciously unearth something that's [so] deep-seated may bring with it a bit of difficulty. This is just a guess --a bit of psychoanalysis on myself =).

But this doesn't address the increase of emotion I feel with certain thoughts. For instance, to use the example of the holocaust again, there was a time in my life where I felt anger, grief and empathy when thinking about it, but I still had the notion that the heinously tortured victims' souls were going to make their way to paradise in the end. Taking that last bit away changed a lot. The degree of anger, grief and empathy shot up, what felt like 50-fold. I mean, it felt completely unbearable.

I'll let you go ahead and pick from that what you find relevant.

I think there's another important note to take here, though. It might be useful to consider illustrating ways an atheist worldview might suggest a _more_ rigorous moral code.

(Very tired. Sorry for fragmentation and incompleteness.)

I think feeling things like "this is it" does give them more immediacy and power. But I just woke up, I'll have to come back to this.

I do think that atheists can be "more moral" than religious people. They do things because it is what should be done, not because it will get them into god's good graces or to avoid hell. I will start a discussion eventually to deal with atheist ethics.

Versions of the Golden Rule are found in religions and life paths far older than Jeebus.

"Do unto others..." Sounds good on paper, but it could be twisted into something very bad. It relies on Moral Relativism. Say you're a Sado-Masochist. Would the Golden Rule apply in all situations?

Sado-masochism seems like a bit of a stretch; I like defining it in these terms.  

"do unto others as you would have them do unto you." (supposed golden rule)

this relies on hypotheticals for it to work, but often those hypotheticals are lost.  Consider this~ If someone believes because of their religion that gays are supposed to be stoned to death; when they consider the "golden rule" from another's standpoint it shouldn't make any difference.  Even if they were gay, it is the word of God, and therefore they would feel it was necessary to be stoned to death.  It wouldn't be a matter of whether they like it or not, it would be whether it was what they considered to be the right thing to do.  The golden rule asks that someone consider anothers world view~ but if they could really do that, they probably wouldn't be referencing the golden rule to begin with.

Does that make sense?

• The golden rule asks that someone consider anothers world view~ but if they could really do that, they probably wouldn't be referencing the golden rule to begin with.

No, it doesn't.  "Do unto others as they would have you do unto them," might.  "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," has more of a sinister ring to it when you consider that the others might not want the same things you do.

Right, which lends itself to the fact that there are several incarnations of the "best" rule.  Treat others as they wish to be treated seems alright... but really the problem is trying to sum up justice in a single catchy sentence.

Which reminds me of a little joke from years back:

Masochist: "Hurt me"

Sadist: "No!"

The real humor here is quite subtle - think irony and you'll get it (unless you already did).

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service