So I'm going to see Sam Harris this Thursday night debate William Lane Craig at the University of Notre Dame.  Upon hearing about the debate, I was thrilled to find out that Notre Dame is only 4 hours away from me, and even more thrilled when I found out that there were still tickets left (6 tickets left, to be exact.  I'm way in the back, but at least I'll be there). 

So getting a ticket to this thing really made my day.  A lot.  I love watching debates, and I'm glad that people like Hitchens and Harris are making noise and standing up to religious dogma.  I feel like if I had heard some of their arguments sooner or if someone had stood up to my religion sooner maybe I might not have suffered all the ill effects of religion in my life. 

It is the natural tendency of humans to share exciting things with others, usually in the form of friends and family.  And it's true that I have friends to share things with.  Like the fact that my business is growing I share with my friend who also owns a business.  Or the fact that I'm enjoying being a father and learning from my 4 year-old I share with my own brother who also has a family.

But who do I share this with?  As a recently de-converted Seventh-Day Adventist I find myself in that raw, bitter, and fearful time that immediately follows apostasy.  I'm not exactly inclined to share my excitement about attending this debate with my facebook (mostly Adventist) friends only to be met with judgment and ridicule.  I'm left in that strange and lonely place where the one thing I am most passionate about is the one thing I'd better not be open about. 

So that's why I'm coming here.  I wanted to tell you all something:

I'm going to see Sam Harris at Notre Dame this week, and I'm going to have a fucking good time!

Tags: Apostasy, Atheism, Harris, Sam

Views: 12

Replies to This Discussion

That's wonderful! I hope you have a good time; I love watching debates between the "heavyweight" atheists vs the religious ones!

I'm in a similar boat; as a teenage apostate, and still in the closet about it with the exception to my eldest brother and a close Canadian friend I met online. I know exactly what it feels like to have this kind of loneliness; to not be able to share experiences with other people. Good for you for sharing it online! That's something I've wanted to do more of, but procrastination has kept it down. Even if you don't get to share them as much as you'd like; they still happen, and they'll still be special to you. You get to watch two of the champions of major religious factions do intellectual battle. Harris will sow the seeds of doubt among the Christian audience, and contribute to the exponentially growing atheist population in America. You are truly witnessing a part of history; a secular renaissance, or as Richard Dawkins put it "A wave of reason".

Awesome!!  Congrats, Sam Harris is a fabulous debator.  I have yet to see him live, I'm jealous. : )

Have fun!

That is some damned fine news. You'll have to enjoy yourself twice as hard for the rest of us that can't attend. Personally I'd love to hear all about it when you get back. Have fun!
I'm excited for you.  I can't wait to hear your story.  Have fun.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Amanda Ashcraft posted a photo
20 minutes ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post Respect for other peoples culture
22 minutes ago
Loren Miller commented on Joan Denoo's blog post We need a new narrative.
30 minutes ago
Luara replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Chris G replied to Scot Hinson's discussion Suicide ?!?
1 hour ago
Luara replied to Nick Bottom's discussion Solicitors, go away
1 hour ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
1 hour ago
Luara commented on Freethinker31's blog post About that Bible
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Joseph P replied to John Jubinsky's discussion Scientists Say Neanderthals and Modern Humans Coexisted in Europe for about 5,400Years in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago
Dr. Terence Meaden replied to Dr. Terence Meaden's discussion Ecosystem found under Antarctic ice sheet raises hopes for alien life in the group ORIGINS: UNIVERSE, LIFE, HUMANKIND, AND DARWIN
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service