I used to be livid that I couldn't ever prevent the catholic church from counting me.

As I understand it, the catholic church doesn't even think of excommunication as a permanent severing of ties... and in fact, i was never interested much in learning a whole lot about excommunication since it seems like another foolish part of the silly game that is god-belief.

I don't care as much about this now, but I do wish that there was a way I would never be counted among catholics worldwide. I consider myself baptized and confirmed entirely against my will since I was a child and no other choice was presented to me.

Does anyone else think about this ever? If so, does it ever bother you or do you just not care?

Views: 67

Replies to This Discussion

Not worried. Just curious.
Specifically, interested in other people's thoughts and experiences!
You can have your name formerly removed from their rolls if you want to expend your energy on such an effort.

How would one go about doing that? I've certainly not heard/read that this is possible.
I don't think it's possible to unenroll from the Catholic Church. During my tenure as Vice-Director of the Connecticut Chapter of American Atheists, I received a number of letters from other members who had written to various bishops, or even the Vatican, asking to be dropped from the rolls or ex-communicated. In most instances, their requests were met with silence. When answered, however, the usual condescending reply was that prayers were being offered up for the petitioner's reconversion and/or salvation. The Church depends partially on its official number of members to bolster its public image, so it's highly unlikely that it would jeapordize this by issuing what could snowball into a deluge of debaptism certificates.
Gwaithmir, thanks for sharing this information. I suspected something like this was the case. I find it pretty disheartening.
KC, maybe it's time for a public group of people who would like their names expunged. At the very least, people could have a membership card in a group that deducts its number from the global number of Catholics.
That would tremendously fun, I think! I wonder if there is anyone already engaged in such a project? It seems like something that would have already started on the web somewhere by now. I'll search and if I find nothing, I'll start thinking about ways to make this happen.
According to Gardnerian Wicca, I'm no longer a Roman Catholic. The great thing about Gardnerian Wicca is that you can unenroll, and even so... there are no data banks of who is or isn't a Gardnerian Wiccan.

The Atheist Foundation of Australia lists Easy Steps to Excommunication, with additional advice and a success story.
Actually you can get un-counted as of March 13, 06. The church will always consider you Catholic in a certain sense, but they won't count you if you get an actus formalis defectionis ab Ecclesia catholica. They aren't allowed to ever throw away your baptismal/confirmation certificates, but they will note it on there and won't report you among them when they do an internal head count.
Here's how:

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3zwpS5JhnQ
part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bxp2Wvi4JWA&feature=related
I just posted a link to www.countmeout.ie which has details of how you can officially defect. Yes, it's true that the catholic church says that you can't be un-baptised, but that's just in their eyes. Who cares what they think, their belief system is so screwed up anyway. But by officically defecting they will mark your baptismal cert with an official defection and they will remove your name from their register. Thereafter they can no longer officially count you. As to the thoughts of their sky goblin or the permanent mark on your non-existant soul, let them think what they want!

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

Latest Activity

Michael Penn commented on Andrew Bradford Hoke's blog post Let's guess what Cardinal Law is doing right now...
31 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Luara's discussion the fragile penis
35 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joan Denoo's discussion Eradicating the Faith Virus - A Conversation with Peter Boghossian
36 minutes ago
Joan Denoo replied to Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall in the group Atheist News
37 minutes ago
Joan Denoo liked Joe's discussion Warren city Atheist sues to set up alternative to prayer station at city hall
39 minutes ago
Joe added 4 discussions to the group Atheist News
48 minutes ago
Dan D replied to Atheist Andrea's discussion Are you open about being an atheist or are you in the closet?
1 hour ago
Luara posted a discussion
1 hour ago
booklover commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
1 hour ago
Steve Shives posted a video

Book Two, Chapters 17-19 - An Atheist Reads Ray Comfort

The series examining the books of Christian apologist Ray Comfort continues with a look at Chapters 17, 18, and 19 of Comfort's book, God Doesn't Believe in ...
2 hours ago
Idaho Spud replied to Joan Denoo's discussion My gravesite inscription
2 hours ago
Richard C Brown commented on Richard C Brown's group learnerscoffeeshack
2 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service