This felt scary to me. I'm really really glad I don't have schizophrenia.

Australian YouTuber Hellojarrad presents this haunting and eye-opening audio clip that might provide a better understanding of what it's like to experience auditory hallucinations as someone diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Tags: schizophrenia

Views: 357

Replies to This Discussion

How awful! 

I know about schizophrenia.  My wifes' brother is paranoid schizophrenic.  As if this isn't bad enough, he has the mind of a 5yr. old.  He is tormented by a girl that does everything to him.  He hears her through speakers in every store!  He understands that he has to ignore her.  He takes five different meds. They have to keep adjusting his meds.  If you don't give him his meds. on time, he goes out of his head.  There is no cure and gets worse as you get older!  It breaks your heart!  It is cruel and relentless!  

Joseph, your story tells of heartache and sorrow beyond imagining. The question always comes up, why are so many "crazy" people living on the streets. Because, there are few who will live with that kind of stress and the mental hospitals closed years ago, leaving jail the only option to the street.
Not all street people are schizophrenic and not all schizophrenics are street people. However, there is a huge unmet need with this situation and it is too easy to look with a blind eye.
Joseph, I care about your situation and all your loved ones who have direct contact with your brother-in-law. You and your family need respite even as he needs care. Do you have a support system? If you don't, you might want to spend some effort and time on building one. Also build a support group of peers, others who are in the same boat and work together to bring about needed changes.

My brother-in-law is taken care of by my mother-in-law.  She takes care of him, but she is 72yrs. old.  When she passes away, my wife and I will take care of him.  There is no financial burden what so ever!  Yes, a support group would be fine!  My wife and I talk all the time about what we are going to do!  A support group sounds good.  He has good doctors that take good care when ever he needs them!  He has regular check-ups and constant monitoring of his meds.  We do know one thing, we will take care of him for as long as we possibly can.  

Joseph, if you have a good support system, you can go through just about anything. Especially if your brother-in-law is difficult or unpleasant to be around, you can have friends and support who know you and believe in you. It is nice to be able to be with people who care about you and can stand with you. I don't mean dependency, I mean people who like you and believe in you and know you have a great challenge. 

Respite care is valuable, too. I hope your mother-in-law has someone to relieve her from time to time. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service