Hello,

I'd really like a place for atheists local to Portland to talk and organize. While we may not face the challenges that skeptics in some of the more religious states face, I still think that there are issues pertinent to Portland atheists that need to be addressed.

I would also very much like to have a time and a place to meet and discuss ideas or just to hang out with like-minded folk. A community based on common ideals for a common cause. Like a church, only without all of the baggage that goes along with church. A Skurch?

I have some material I have gathered on some information on some goings on that will interest atheists and skeptics local to Portland, and if there is any new local news I will post it as well.

Aloha!

--Joe

Tags: atheist, greeting, oregon, portland

Views: 5

Replies to This Discussion

Kick ass. Any chance in hell that it will be in downtown Portland? Beaverton is sort of... out there.

Regardless, I'd be happy to help any way I can.
Downtown Portland would be great. I work there.
Most of our members so far are from Beaverton. If we had enough members from the rest of Portland I think we could make a good argument that it should be close to downtown. I'm personally from Clackamas/Happy Valley, so I'd be thrilled if it was downtown rather than in Beaverton.

I lead a discussion group that meets in a downtown coffee shop (Java Vivace) every other month. We've discussed doing it every month there if we get enough interest.
I will be sure to check you guys out. I have a friend that lives a block from that cafe and I go there every once in a while. I will check "maybe" and do my best to get there. Maybe I can even talk a few people into going with me.
Jay in St. Johns here. Glad to see a few atheist here in Portland. Hello to all. I actually wish Portland was full of godless liberals, it seems to me that most people here replace the godlessness with pseudoscience beliefs. I feel like i cant throw a marshmallow without hitting a acupuncturist or chiropractor or some sort of wellness center in this city. Even at work our break room always has that alternatives magazine there, which is always good for a chuckle.
Thrilled to see local secular humanists.

Jay, I definitely know what you're talking about. Portland does have a bit of a bohemian-hippie atmosphere, but I'd be surprised if there was a city more godless than Portland outside of Massachusetts.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service