Dr. Vandana Shiva interviewed by Canadian TV host George Stromboulopoulos,

"We Can Take It To Another Place": She speaks against GMO foods and works tirelessly to promote biodiversity and seed saving. The international organization she founded, Navdanya, networks seed keepers and organic producers spread across 16 states in India.

She tells of her unique background with quantum physics: how it propels and informs her work and her philosophical direction.

"The training in quantum theory taught me what is wrong with reductionism but my training in physics taught me what mechanical thought is all about and to be able to put the 2 together. The second part of quantum theory is the whole recognition that there is no determinate, intrinsic quantity in anything. Everything is evolving, in potential, in transition and it's uncertain where it will be. I think the reason I am such an optimist in the middle of terrible collapse, disaster everywhere is because I know there's no linear guarantee that it's going to continue that way. If we do a little more, if we think a little differently we are more engaged as citizens with responsibilities, we can take it to another place."

~ Vandana Shiva 

Views: 16

Replies to This Discussion

I would be in agreement with GMO if the were not pollen drift. When a GMO crop next to an organic farm, the pollen drifts by wind currents or by insects, thus pollinating the organic crops. The seeds are not fertile and tend not to fertilize for the next crop. Farmers have to buy seeds instead of saving seeds. 

Vandana discovered that the cross pollination does not product a better, more nutritious, as delicious new seeds, such as Basmati rice. Thus the heirloom is lost to future generations. When tested in courts of law, Monsanto wins and farmers lose the suits. The suicide rate of farmers grows as crops fail. 

Seems to be a pretty high price to pay for Monsanto to take over farming seeds and destroy peasant farmers. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Plinius commented on Daniel W's group Food!
3 minutes ago
Trevor updated their profile
6 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan commented on Daniel W's group Food!
16 minutes ago
21 minutes ago
Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Food!
24 minutes ago
Daniel W commented on Daniel W's group Food!
28 minutes ago
Deidre replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
44 minutes ago
45 minutes ago
Pat commented on Daniel W's group Food!
54 minutes ago
Luara replied to Atheist Storybook's discussion It's going to happen. The first Atheist Storybook for children!
55 minutes ago
Patricia commented on Daniel W's group Food!
55 minutes ago
Leon Gretsky replied to Allen Dudley's discussion There Sould Be A War
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service