Senator Cantwell, we need you and President Obama to stand tall, firm, resolute and confident that the ways we have been going economically and politically have to change.
1. Stop spending money on war. The claim is we are spending for safety, and creating a larger war machine and police state is not the way to go. We don't need a police state at home.
2. Stop spending money on banks. They caused the problems we face and we cannot afford to support crony capitalism. Our country is already bankrupt and we need to face that reality.
3. Stop printing fiat money. There is a machine to make wealthy people wealthy and working people pay the bills. Focus on Romney's and wealthy payment of taxes, or failure to do so.
4. Focus on what our country needs to flourish: clean water, healthy foods, health care for all, education that emphasizes technical and professional skills. We don't need all our citizens to be receptionists or plumbers' helpers; we need skilled trades people, technicians, crafts people.
5. Jobs for everyone that pays living wages. We thought USA was so smart to send jobs overseas or to invent robots to do the work of human beings, thus creating an over-surplus of working people. Every working person should be earning a living wage, not for luxury cars or palaces, but nourishing food, decent housing, access to health care, solid education, safe savings accounts for education and retirement.
6. Banks should protect deposits, not gamble with them.
I agree on the first 3 listed, for sure. We HAVE healthy foods, but too many choose to eat junk food. If more ate healthy whole foods, the food companies would produce and sell more healthful items. This is free-market capitalism. If the junkfood rotted on the shelves because no one bought it, manufacturers would quit making it eventually. So, I cannot agree with Obamacare. I een dislike regular insurance mostly, because I think my paying in goes to the unhealthy, irresonsibe among us. I prefer the private health bank account concept.
I do agree mostly with your number 5. More restrictions should be placed on both India and China, who, repeated have sold us tainted, dangerous foods and toys and other merchandise. I must partly blame the big stores and toysellers for this, too, though. Don't they test the stuff before selling it? Ya' know, as in open up an odd box every now and then to randomly test what they sell. But, the US an other western countries should ban all of Indian and Chinese imports to pets and children under 5. We must pass laws and/or taxes to discourage sending jobs overseas. Our local NACOM, a car parts manufacturer that has been here for 20+ yrs, has moved recently to Mexico! Both Ford and GM have factories in Mexico.
Joan, too MANY people choose to spend their money on the here-and-now...like children or teenagers...they can't plan for the future by eating right, exercing or spending their money on APPreciating assets like houses or an education, but they choose instant gratification in junk food, clothing FADS, expensive hairdo's and nailsets, expensive phones and tv's. Ya' an't make 'em act responsibly.
I DO think that nutrition and financial/life planning skills should now be mandatory classes in middle and high school, though. If mom and pop aren't teaching it/ living it, they need to learn it somewhere.
I'm ok with robots making things, esp. since it lowers the price of our goods so that we can buy more cheaply, thus improving our lifestyles.
The de-regulation of baking (the allowing of banks to operate state-to-state) is one of the things that caused the Mega Banks to get TOO large...so says a few in the banking industry. If this happens to insurance companies, which many republicans say they want, I fear the insurance co's could get too large to fail.
As for education....too many parents treat school as a babysitter, not as education. There is vioolence in many schools. Why aren't those kides sent to a public reformatory school...kicked out of reg. school? In middle school, 20+ YRS AGO, i WAS AFRAID TO GO TO SCHOOL BECAUSE OF violence. Parents need to be issued more citations for not rearing their kids correctly. Teachers can't teach in total chaos/anarchy. Why aren't there more CLEP-type tests that can get grant money? Can't the gov't come up with a PBS type channel to broadcast 100% college-level classes? They do SOME, but manybe should do more and then can maybe subsidize the tests.
I tried to donate scholastic/ math books to a local GED class, but the teacher told me she wasn't allowed to give them to any students!!!! Is it the affiliated college afraid of bias-typed lawsuits or less money spent at their book stores or is it the big Co. who puts out the GED book and test that says no donating books to help students pass the test? Most of those student s don't have cars, event the 40 yr olds. They'd have a hard time buying school books, so why couldn't I donate them? Why did the local library say no when I wanted to donate a brand-spanking new set of three algebra books? They said "we aren't a scholastic library". They had the room.
I'm against socialism, but our current system has plenty of room for improvement.