http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/reason-rallys...

Posted at 02:18 PM ET, 03/27/2012

Reason Rally’s unreasonable beliefs

Cal Thomas, why on earth do you say atheists are openly "hostile to people of faith". That statement is about as ludicrous as asking "if they believe God does not exist, why are they so angry?" Have you not been listening and watching the news reports of efforts to keep people bound by faith in a non-existent god, to give the imperative to submit, obey, turn the other cheek, sacrifice yourself daily and rejoice in your sacrifice. I listened for 20 years to women who were trying to recover from religious dogma. They virtually all told the same story, going to their pastor, religious teachers and communities for help with their family violence and getting what I began to call, "The Passive Gospel".

Instead of hearing an active gospel: you have a right to feel safe in your own home, there is no justification for assault and battery of family member, your children have a right to be protected from thuggish and brutish behavior of a battering father ..." they were given The Passive Gospel! They asked for bread and were given stones!

The Passive Gospel was a sick theology and psychology when my grandmothers heard it and it is a sin and crime today. How can we assure safety for women and children in their own homes if the religious communities demand submission, obedience, second class citizenship on women and children? No amount of reasoning, pleading, crying, or legal and law enforcement will stop battering if men believe they have the right to oppress and women believe they have the obligation to submit.

Cal, I don't know if you have ever been beaten by a person you love or trust, but just because you have escaped such terror, you have no right to pass judgment on those who have.

Hostile? No! I am not hostile! I am outraged!

Views: 180

Replies to This Discussion

Are you guys only responding here? I don't get it...

Where are your comments on that site?

I responded at 5:50pm. Click "More responses" in that thread for my 2nd post (for some reason it posted twice). I'm "heyjude1971".

See, that's what I'm talking about, that's the kind of thing I started the Atheist Media Watch for, …not to make comments on here where only we see them, but to use "our voice" in the mainstream. 

Richard, that is exactly what I want! I write for a larger audience than the few members of my sites. I don't know how to make that happen. 

i'm hunting for my responses. and get them onto your site. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service