Freegan

"Freegans are people who employ alternative strategies for living based on limited participation in the conventional economy and minimal consumption of resources. Freegans embrace community, generosity, social concern, freedom, cooperation, and sharing in opposition to a society based on materialism, moral apathy, competition, conformity, and greed.

"After years of trying to boycott products from unethical corporations responsible for human rights violations, environmental destruction, and animal abuse, many of us found that no matter what we bought we ended up supporting something deplorable. We came to realize that the problem isn’t just a few bad corporations but the entire system itself."

Views: 160

Replies to This Discussion

Green Living Tips

6. Boycott plastic water bottles. Keep a pitcher or jug of filtered water at your desk. Use a refillable stainless steel bottle on the go. Why? Every year, the U.S. dumps enough plastic water bottles to circle the earth over 100 times. Plastic is made from petroleum. Plastic bottles (even BPA free ones) leach hormone-disrupting chemicals into your drinking water. When you taste plastic, you are drinking plastic.

What if we turn in ALL the plastic bottles we buy to the city for recycling?  And we do.  What little we buy, that is.  Is there any way to find out what happens to that stuff?

I've been using Brita filter pitchers for about 15 years, but the family hypochondriac (my sister) believes that distilled water is healthier (just the opposite, in fact), so she sometimes goes on an Arrowhead binge, and I keep my mouth shut.  (She's the Aspie, and thinks I don't know anything about anythinmg.  She's also a Jehovah's Witless, and bigger than I am.  Case closed.)

She also drinks, or uses, about 3/4 qt of milk a day, and that comes in plastic bottles, too.

I would like to know too. Good question.

I try to do that - unless I have to have a bottle for easy transport -

I'm having 'puter problems, or I'd give you a link, BUT go to the STASH TEA web site, and look up "Tea Ware." They have stuff besides teapots & cups, including insulated take-along tall "glasses" and mugs with sealable tops.  Just don't fall in love with everything.

Oh, crap...my Symantec program just started its nightly scan.  I don't wanna mess with that after all the problems I had with phishers trying to get into my bank accounts yesterday!

G'nite!

How dreadful. How did you realize sphishers were up to no good in your account? Never had that experience and want to be prepared. 
Thanks for Stash Tea, "Tea Ware" lead.

Koch Brothers' Products

University of Massachusetts at Amherst’s Political Economy Research Institute, shows Koch Industries as one of the nation’s top 10 polluters/emitters. See detailed emissions breakdowns,  -www.peri.umass.edu/toxic_index

Boycott Koch Brothers

Someone submitted a far better chart of Koch enterprises. I can't find it by Googling and I hope someone remembers it and supplies it for us. 

Great subject Joan!  I've read a lot about Freegans due to my interest in frugality, minimalism, etc. 

Hi Melinda, I had not heard of them before. This great adventure we take toward "frugality and minimalism" offers much, not only in the search, but in the experiences. You have much to teach me. 

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service