Seems like the kind of thing PZ would get frothy about.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33212378/ns/health-swine_flu

Bolding mine:
"Some parents say they are concerned about side effects from the new vaccine — even though nothing serious has turned up in tests so far — while others say swine flu doesn't amount to any greater health threat than seasonal flu."

Hmmmm, who do we have to thank for this?

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

Vaccination started getting a bad name a number of years ago when the conservative right wing determined that vaccination caused ADD in children and the press picked it up for a sensational story. Now any story which could be used to discredit the current government in Washington seems to have a life of its own.
We're all doomed then. :(
Well, the fears of very rare complications from un-extensively tested flu vaccines are nothing new. (witness Guillain-Barre in the 70's) The rabid fear mongering about the very extensively tested childhood disease vaccinations have been floating around out there from not just the conservative right wing but the loopy loos like Jenny McCarthy (who possesses no degrees in medicine or science - she's just a "mom" ((and therefore must always be right!!)) and let's give HER a TV show!! *vomit*)

And the flu vaccine (the regular one as well as the swine flu) isn't recommended for healthy adults with functioning immune systems and never has been.

I should add that the ginned up fear about the "pandemic" swine flu (like avian flu before it) is a new one. Far more people die from oh say heart disease and NOT having health insurance than have died from swine flu.
When a healthy 35 year old father of three catches the flu and dies within a few days of his first symptoms, even with the best of ICU care at a provincial hospital, one has to ask if this is the "normal" flu. H1N1 can be a killer. In my particular case, I have had a horrible experience with an earlier flu shot which my MD puts down to a form of albumin sensitivity. For me the cure is worse than the disease, so I just have to wash my hands and hope.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service