2012 the "Year of the Bible" in Pennsylvania? Passed unanimously in House; our state senators need to hear from us.

Not a single state representative opposed the "noncontroversial" resolution H.R. 535, passed last week 193-0 by all reps present. Flouting both the U.S. and Pennsylvania constitutions, it opens with

WHEREAS, The Bible, the word of God, has made a unique contribution in shaping the United States as a distinctive and blessed nation and people;

and after presenting more distorted pseudo-history, goes on to declare

That the House of Representatives declare 2012 as the “Year of the Bible” in Pennsylvania in recognition of both the formative influence of the Bible on our Commonwealth and nation and our national need to study and apply the teachings of the holy scriptures.

The sponsor, Rick Saccone, explained his rationale in overtly religious terms:

....House Resolution 535 serves as a reminder that we must look to our faith in God and the Holy Scripture to provide us with the strength, wisdom and courage to conquer these great trials....

The scathing rebuke FFRF co-presidents Dan Barker and Annie Laurie Gaylor wrote to the House leaders is worth reading in full, with its rebuttals of the resolution's premises.

The Pennsylvania Assembly has no business telling citizens which god to recognize, which so-called holy book to "study," much less directing citizens to "apply its teachings."
...[two pages snipped]...
The Pennsylvania Senate must have the enlightened sense to bury this vacuous, posturing, and pandering resolution.
Here is our message to electioneering politicians in Pennsylvania and everywhere: The economy is in shambles, many Americans are jobless and homeless. Quit with the gratuitous religion. Get off your knees and get to work!

When I called my state senator's office to urge that this resolution be killed, they said I was the first to call about it!

Please let us know how your state legislators react to your calls or emails. Thanks!

Tags: 535, H.R., HR535, and, assembly, bible, church, clause, establishment, general, More…house, of, pennsylvania, politics, religion, senate, separation, state, the, year

Views: 58

Replies to This Discussion

There's a change.org petition to The PA State House: Enforce the separation of church and state.

http://www.change.org/petitions/pa-house-of-reps-passed-a-resolutio...

I wrote the senators about this issue when it happened. Utterly ridiculous. A friend of mine (the PA director for American Atheists, Ernest Perce) posted pictures of a billboard that had been vandalized that was put up specifically to protest this legislation; they tore it down because it contained an offensive biblical verse about the biblical laws of slavery.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service