"Not bothering" teachers perpetuates Dominator Culture and class inequality

This caught my attention on ScienceDaily:

Social class makes a difference in how children tackle classroom problems

[...] social class can account for differences in how parents coach their children to manage classroom challenges. Such differences can affect a child's education by reproducing inequalities in the classroom.

[...] "Middle-class parents tell their children to reach out to the teacher and ask questions. Working-class parents see asking for help as disrespectful to teachers, so they teach their children to work out problems themselves."

[...] working-class children tend to stay silent through any of their educational struggles so as not to be a bother.

[...] "Middle-class parents are more plugged into the school, so they know what teachers expect in the classroom. Working-class parents don't think it's their place to be involved, so they tend to be less aware of what teachers expect today," [Jessica McCrory] Calarco said.

With the widening gaps in educational outcomes between social classes, Calarco suggested that this study could help schools become more aware of these differences and make moves to reduce the inequalities. [...]

[ellipses and emphases mine; read the whole article]

The article notes that "to isolate differences based on social class alone" rather than race, the study only included Caucasian students and families, and their teachers.

People in working-class families being conditioned to "not bother" authority figures, and parents seeing it as "not their place" to be involved with the school -- those really look like symptoms of Dominator Culture, and perpetuators of the divisions it depends on!

Tags: Dominator Culture, education, inequality, learned helplessness, middle class, perpetuating inequality, reproducing inequality, social class, working class

Views: 20

Replies to This Discussion

I agree, Grinning Cat. Thanks for sharing this.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service