I thought it would be fun to discuss what songs  we sing for bedtime. Why? And possibly share lyrics.

My littlest heathen loves it when I sing Mother Earth and Father Time from Charlotte's Web.  I love singing it because of it's message. The appreciation of being a part of this short life in this amazing universe is so important to me now.  While I was trying to cling on to the remainder of my deist/pantheist beliefs , whatever they were supposed to be, I started singing it. I always thought  it a beautiful song, but as I got into the habit of singing it every night the words began to sink in. It reminded me that  I need to enjoy every moment while I can. bc life is so very short. Something that's so simple, yet it's easily forgotten.

The Lyrics:

How very special are we
For just a moment to be
Part of life’s eternal rhyme
How very special are we
To have on our family tree
Mother Earth and Father Time
He turns the seasons around
And so she changes her gown
But they always look in their prime
They go on dancing their dance
Of every lasting romance
The summer larks return to sing
Oh what a gift they give
Then autumn days grow short and cold
Oh what a joy to live
How very special are we
For just a moment to be
Part of life’s eternal rhyme
How very special are we
To have on our family tree

Views: 77

Replies to This Discussion

:) You're welcome. I had to print them in order to sing it to my children, so I still had them saved. I fell in love with his wit the second I heard him. I even have a little 'ginger', so I laughed when I heard his song "Taboo".
Me too Ginger... I have a tinge of ginge myself. Funny though I never really heard the term Ginger used till that South Park episode. Carrot top and such yeah, but not Ginger.
Yeah actually I learned about it just in time for the new DW series with CE as the Doctor. I don't really recall CE making any comments but DT's Doctor had said he always wanted to be Ginger a few times. So When MS looked at his hair and said "still not Ginger" ( I can't recall if he said that exactly word for word, my DVR died b4 I could watch it a second time.)he was disappointed.
Hopefully 12 will be ginge.
What a lovely song! It makes me want to see Charlotte's Web again. Well I'm not much of a singer so I don't really sing to my kids. But if I did, it would likely be songs from Winnie the Pooh.
Los Pollitos.
It is a song about chickens. I don't even know all of the words because it is one my husband's mom sang to him in Spanish and *in my best Spanish accent* "My Spanish iss-ah no gooud"
We do it in two verses, on C.A. Spanish then U.S. English.
Los pollitos dicen
"pío, pío, pío"
cuando tienen hambre,
cuando tienen frío.'
All the little chickies say
peep peep peep
when they are hungry
when they are cold

We sing more songs in the morning and they are made up as we go along. We don't sing the ones my mom did because her favorite was "Do not laugh when the hearse goes by" and telling us the story of Ichabod Crane and the Legend of Sleepy Hollow. (weird, I'm still up at 1 a.m.) We're waiting until he's a bit older for those.
I know that song bc of Dragon Tales.
Yeah I think I would wait a little on the others myself. Plenty of time for that sort of thing.
my children are not little anymore, but when they were, I'd make up a song as I went along! LOL One of the easiest was just about reminding them to sleep now, and I'd go over several details, like closing the eyes, snuggling under the covers, etc. It's really easy not to have god-songs. I also never sung rock a bye baby. That's the sickest song I think ever in existence.
My mom sang it to me when I was little but with a twist.
All the same lines but the last line replaced with-
"Mama'll catch baby, cradle and all."
It made me feel secure especially when we were in the basement in the middle of the night riding out the tornadoes.
I do agree though about the original lyrics. I wonder if it wasn't from the same line of thinking as the original versions of fairy tales. Teach em young that the world can be a terrible place. Otherwise what terrible parents to begin, and continue that tradition.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service