When I first deconverted/became atheist, I removed every veggie tales video, kids bible storybook, etc. from the house. For Easter last week (which my son and I celebrated by going to the swimming pool all day long) my mom dropped by with a basket of some plastic eggs and a Veggie Tales video. It's "King George & the Ducky" which is based off the story of David & Bathsheba sanitized and made cute. My son remembers Bob & Larry from my own Christian days and he loves the show. He's watched the video a couple of times now.

After a lot of nail biting, I think I'm just going to not comment. He also loves Dora, Winnie the Pooh, Little Einsteins, etc. If I don't present Veggie Tales as any different, he probably won't believe it anymore, right? Or if I should comment, what do I say? My son is 3. I "got saved" at his age. I don't want that happening to him, but I don't want to be over protecting him from religious influences (like I was protected from secular ones).

How do you handle issues like this?

Tags: grandparents, reality, salvation, tales, veggie

Views: 346

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

I let my 6 year old daughter and 5 year old twins (boy and girl) watch Veggie Tales or pretty much anything else they want to,within reason. (No "Alien" or "The Devil's Rejects" for them just yet!) After watching "The Wizard Of Oz" the 6 year old made the comment that church people were just like the man behind the curtain and that the "great and powerful Oz" was "fake like god". Kid makes more sense than a lot of adults I know.
Smart kid!
Yep. She obviously gets it from her mother...*grin*
Awesome insight from your daughter.
Agreed. She clearly understands that only source of true supernatural power is Barney!
Hey, I actually made a post on my blog about this: http://lifewithoutfaith.com/?p=232

I think you made the right decision. As silly as the videos are, they can learn some morals from them. However, we try to teach our kids that you can be moral without the superstition.

When "faith" issues come up, we ask our kids things like, "Do you think this is something that is a fact, or is this a story?" We hope that by teaching our kids critical thinking and the definition of words like faith, they will reach the proper conclusions on their own.
Hehe I like the "Sunday Fundies" idea. Glad to be quoted in such a place :)
I have had no problem with Veggie Tales. My wife is a Christian leaning agnostic and she has no problem with the kids being exposed to religion. We have a nicely functioning truce on the matter. I tell the kids I don't believe and why. She tells the kids she isn't sure and why she thinks there might be. Neither one of us tell them what to think on the subject we just teach them what we think.

I handle it by making sure to point out that Bible stories are no different than any other stories. In fact when my son was little I told him bedtime stories that I made up based on all sorts of mythology including Christian. I feel that putting Christianity in the same context as other myths will remove any special cultural significance it might have.

Veggie tales is the same. It rarely evoked any comments about God, and when it did I just said honestly that some people believe in a God like Odin or Zeus or the God from the Bible and they like to tell stories about him. It seems to be effective, my daughter who is my oldest is mostly agnostic like her mother. My son is apathetic about religion. He has zero interest in it. He doesn't watch Veggie tales at all and hasn't since he was very little, because he thinks it is boring. In fact since he only gets a limited TV allowance I don't think he would even waste one of his "shows" on something like that. The few times he has come to me with questions about some religious thing he has heard, I answer his questions honestly and say it is just "God stuff" that usually satisfies whatever interest he had.
I had to join this group to comment, so hopefully no one minds that I am not actually a parent, but I was parentED, well, not quite as a heathen, but something like it. So I thought I could provide that side of the experience.

I was told a little bit about religions and always told that I could choose to believe in one when I was older if I wanted to. I was also bought lots of science books. I don't think you have to worry, AT ALL, about kids "catching religion" from exposure to it. I think it requires indoctrination. If you give them the different perspectives, the logical explanations will win out. My parents didn't even tell me a lot about what they believed, and we even did some midnight masses for Christmas, and naturally you wind up going to churches for weddings, etc. But I wound up an atheist because I was given all the evidence and it always seemed pretty clear what was true.

I also remember seeing some Bible-based cartoons and things of that sort, but honestly I always found them a bit creepy and stuffy. I do think there was some cartoon about a "magic book" that I watched, and the magic book was probably supposed to be the Bible, but it was always clear that it was fictional. I think I understood it as being about ancient legends.
No worries about being a non-parent MP.

I really agree with you here: I don't think you have to worry, AT ALL, about kids "catching religion" from exposure to it. I think it requires indoctrination.

I hadn't thought of this until just now, but my sisters and I used to watch Davey and Goliath (does anyone remember this show?) as a kid every Sunday morning. I'm not really sure what we liked about the show other than it was different than the usual Bugs/Looney Tunes stuff that was on at the time and we loved how Golaith talked. It certainly didn't make us more godly though.
Hey Angie ,
With my son he knows most of the bible stories, they kinda need to I think in order to fully understand the world around them, but he is being raised as an atheist. He quotes parts of Cosmos a great teaching tool. I expose him to everything but always with MY commentary track. At age ten he gets a little kick out of pointing out BS when he hears it or sees it. This also includes Tarot cards, astrology, alien abduction ...everything. I dont tell him that I dont believe it, I tell him , its not true.
I guess I worry about being too assertive about "this is not true" even though I really don't think it is. I'm so scared of "indoctrinating" him as an atheist. Does that make sense?

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service