Vitamin D and the nursing mother

An "adequate" intake for nursing mothers is not the 400 IU/d the IOM recommends, but is instead in the range of 5,000-6,000 IU/d, taken daily. If they get that much, they will meet not only their own needs, but their infant's as well.

... during the first year that, in addition to its role in calcium metabolism, this critical nutrientreduces both the risk of current infections and the late-life development of such autoimmune diseases as multiple sclerosis and type 1 diabetes. [emphasis mine]

image source

Tags: nursing, vitamin D

Views: 12

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Randall Smith replied to Ruth Anthony-Gardner's discussion In 40 years wild vertebrates halved in the group Wildlife
5 minutes ago
Todd Crispin replied to Todd Crispin's discussion New member, first post anywhere of this type
1 hour ago
Jennie updated their profile
1 hour ago
Jennie posted a photo
1 hour ago
Todd Crispin posted discussions
1 hour ago
mark fitzgibbon liked Ivy's group Atheist Humor
2 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon posted a status
"giving my daughter breakfast :)"
3 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon updated their profile
4 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon replied to Todd Crispin's discussion New member, first post anywhere of this type
4 hours ago
mark fitzgibbon liked Todd Crispin's discussion New member, first post anywhere of this type
4 hours ago
abdulrahman aliyu posted a status
"How I wish things were different....... And I am in open society, not living in the midst of Muslims and couldn't express my views openly."
4 hours ago
Joan Denoo commented on Daniel W's group Food!
4 hours ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service