Hello!
I am writing from Henlivision, an independent film production company located near Washington, D.C. We are currently in the early stages of filming a documentary titled Skipping Sunday School, on parenting without religion. (You can find out more at http://henlivision.com and http://www.indiegogo.com/SkippingSundaySchool)

We are looking to interview parents, atheist children, and adult children who grew up in non-theist homes. We will be travelling around the country and are currently working on our production schedule, so it doesn't matter if you're close by - we'd still like to hear from you.

Please don't hesitate to contact me with any questions!

Thank you!
Ashley Henley

Tags: documentary, filming

Views: 31

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Melody, Thanks so much for reaching out to us. I will put you onto our list of potential interviewees, thanks so much.
Hey Ashley I'm an Atheist mom of four girls. My stepdaughter is 13, then my daughters are 9, 7, and 2. I'm out to all my family and for a while took my girls completely out of church. They came home crying once from church with my grandparents because their Sunday school teacher told them I was going to hell because I didn't believe in Jesus. So I put an end to that very quickly! I'm a strong Atheist, my boyfriend is an Agnostic, but still somewhat superstitious, and the older girls say they believe in god. In our house everyone is encouraged to think for themselves and be as rational and skeptical as possible. I don't try and control whether my girls "believe" or not, I just accept it as who they are right now. I don't know if our family would be of any interest or help to your project, but let me know if you'd like to talk.
Hi Rachelle, Thanks so much for reaching out to us. I will put you onto our list of potential interviewees, thanks so much.
We would love to help you out if needed. We are currently living in South Carolina and my son came home from school today and informed me that his classmates had a religion intervention prepared for him. He told them that he simplly did not believe and when they asked him why he told them that he needed proof of the existence of god. They told him that they were worried because they did not want him to go to "that place that is the opposite of heaven". They also told him not to mention this to his parents. Well he did mention it and while I am not upset I am concerned. He tells me his classmates are very nice to him but I am not sure what will happen if they cannot convince him to change his status. My son is 10 and he is attending a private school, I also have a 12 year old son. Please feel free to contact us.
Hi AimeeJoe, Thanks so much for reaching out to us. I will put you onto our list of potential interviewees, thanks so much.
Ashley,
I am in the Air Force, I am stationed at Dyess AFB in Abilene TX, and live with my wife and 10 month old. It's not easy being an Atheist in the military and on top of that we live in the city with the most churches per-capita in the U.S. My wife and I have reguler discutions on how we will handle raising our son in such a religiously saturated environment. The furtre is a bit daunting right now. If you are ever close to Abilene I would be happy to talk to you.
My husband and I are atheists from very religious families. We are not interested in being on the program, because I feel like we would have to be these perfect parents and we're not. We're just ordinary parents. I feel like as atheists, our parenting skills are judged more harshly than our theist counterparts. In addition, I don't like the attitude that being religious or a church goer automatically makes someone a better parent than a non religious person. I don't like the idea that atheists aren't considered good choices as home for adoptive children. You might want to interview Piers Anthony, the fantasy writer. I have been pen friends with him for a number of years and he talks frequently about raising his daughters atheist vegetarians and his struggles with trying to adopt children as an atheist in the 60s. You can contact him and his wife via his webpage at http://www.hipiers.com/ He answers his email daily. Good luck with your project! I look forward to seeing your program.
I emailed Piers Anthony and told him about your documentary. From his response, I take it, he is not interested. If you can get him, Terry Pratchett is life long atheist with four grown children. You may get a better response from him.
Hi, My wife and I have a son and daughter (8 and 5) who we are raising as atheists. Feel free to contact me.

I also do a blog that has quite a few of my experiences as an atheist parent -

http://www.laughinginpurgatory.com/

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

Latest Activity

Joan Denoo posted blog posts
4 minutes ago
Bertold Brautigan replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion And Now, for Something Totally New in Televangelism - Televangelist pastor accused of forcing vasectomies and abortions on church members
14 minutes ago
sk8eycat commented on Sentient Biped's group Food!
23 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
25 minutes ago
Čenek Sekavec commented on Sentient Biped's group Godless in the garden
27 minutes ago
Asa Watcher replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
31 minutes ago
Michael Penn replied to Just a Voice's discussion Is consciousness nothing more than a veneer of our biological underpinnings?
33 minutes ago
Neanderthal Man posted a video

Viking Trance - Miroslav (Мирослав) from Napoleon Bonaparte on Vimeo.

Viking Trance - Miroslav (Мирослав)

Мирослав это рассказ о России Viking Trance - Miroslav by Viking Trance with video artwork by Napoleon Bonaparte. Smart Dog Videos London (UK). Viking Trance https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/miroslav/id338694031?i=338694257 Viking Trance…
51 minutes ago
Loren Miller replied to Deidre's discussion Dogmatic atheism?
57 minutes ago
1 hour ago
Čenek Sekavec replied to Bertold Brautigan's discussion And Now, for Something Totally New in Televangelism - Televangelist pastor accused of forcing vasectomies and abortions on church members
1 hour ago
1 hour ago

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service