There are 2,229 results for Noah’s Ark books on Amazon, most of which surely explain that the rainbow is God’s promise that he’ll never murder all of humanity again with a flood.

Now, Richard Dawkins, author of Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder and other books on biology, evolution, and religion, has announced the upcoming release of his children’s book, The Magic of Reality: How we know what’s really true. You can preorder it on Amazon (which I just did). You can also check out a preview of some of the text, including the illustrations, here.

Chapters include “What is a rainbow?,” “Who were the first man and woman?,” and “When did everything begin.” He contrasts answers provided by religious myths with answers provided by science. For example, when explaining the rainbow, he describes how water separates different wavelengths of light into each magnificent color.

I’m so pleased that Dawkins has written this book because there is such a need for accurate, evidence-based books appropriate for children. As Dawkins says in The God Delusion, “If there is something that appears to lie beyond the natural world as it is now imperfectly understood, we hope eventually to understand it and embrace it within the natural. As ever when we unweave a rainbow, it will not become less wonderful.”

Other freethought children’s books that I’d recommend are:

Dan Barker’s Maybe Yes, Maybe No: A guide for Young SkepticsMaybe Right, Maybe Wrong: A guide for young thinkers, and Just Pretend: A freethought book for children.
Aching and Praying
Alexander Fox and the Amazing Mind Reader
Atheist Primer: Did you know that all the Gods Came from the Same P... This one is out of print, but if you call for Todd at American Atheists (908-276-7300), he can hook you up. I just ordered a copy from him. The full story is read on YouTube.
D’Aulaires’ Book of Greek Myths
D’Aulaires’ Book of Norse Myths
Humanism: What’s that?
Life on Earth: The story of evolution
Our Family Tree: An evolution story
The Turtle and the Universe
What About Gods?

Tags: books

Views: 104

Attachments:

Replies to This Discussion

i'd heard that hawking was going to try doing a children's book too, i wonder what's happened with that.
Terrific! I found it – it’s called George’s Secret Key to the Universe. Thanks for mentioning it!

http://www.amazon.com/Georges-Secret-Universe-Stephen-Hawking/dp/14...

wow, i didn't even know he'd finished it. don't even remember where i'd heard of it...

that's got to be great for parental bragging rights. "my 5 year old reads hawking"

Still a little too old for my kids so a board book would be great if anyone knows of any.
Hi Andrea! How old is your little one? I've never seen any board books related to science, secularism, atheism, evolution, etc. Of the books that I'm aware of, Our Family Tree: An evolution story is the book geared to the youngest kids. The text is simple, while remaining accurate, the pictures are big and colorful, and even our 2-year-old enjoys it. If you come across other books in your search, keep us posted!
Our Family Tree: An Evolution Story is definitely great for younger kids.  Another awesome one is Ape by Martin Jenkins.  My young kids (ages 2, 4, and 6) enjoyed both of those.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service