I'm fairly excited about this site! I hope it really takes off in a positive way.

I created this group because I see a need. I belong to a few parenting message boards but none of them are very interested in discussing secular parenting issues. Needless to say most are religious to varying degrees and don't understand why it's even an issue.

Just a brief intro...I'm a SAHM with two boys ages 5 and 2. I'll be sending my 5 year old off to kindy this fall and with the excitement also comes all the usual fears and nerves. I look forward to getting to know other parents here.

Tags: atheist, parent, parenting

Views: 72

Replies to This Discussion

Yeah, count me in on the stay at home (sort of) mom list. 2 kids, aged 10 and 6, going to school fulltime, trying to get into the nursing programs here in California, but not having much luck, apparently a 3.9 GPA is not good enough for them (JK, it is a lottery system). Meanwhile I am going to go into virology (just love that DNA!) and geriatrics until I can get into nursing. Fun!
I have 2 boys ages 14 and 9, no more little tykes for me, but I still have the teen years to contend with. The backlash from my community because I dared to challenge my son's school system regarding a school sponsored ceremony which included a good 30-40 minute period where the co-sponsors played Christian music videos of two huge projector screens. I was appalled at the comments that were made toward me and my parenting skills when I objected to the whole debacle publicly in a letter to the editor of our local paper.
I never even mentioned my atheism, only that I was concerned about the lack of regard for the separation of church/state. However, I was maligned in a way I have never EVER been before, and decided then and there that the rest of my time here on earth I would be an extremely VOCAL advocate of our position.
Parenting in the type of atmosphere of small town bible thumpers is kindof scary sometimes, I'm really glad this site is here where we can support each other as parents of heathens (I just love that!)
Looking forward to some intelligent discussion!
I'm glad to see this group here! I am a homeschooling mother of 2, and the misconception seems to be that all or most hs'ers are religious fanatics or hs'ing for religious reasons. I'm here to put that myth to rest! I'm even happy to say there is a yahoo group I'm on called Heathen Homeschoolers. :) Needless to say, if you are thinking homeschooling might be for you, I am always happy to talk about it, and even point you toward secular materials.
The last couple days for me have been filled with moments like "Wow! There's a site where people openly discuss their atheism!" and now I've found this group. It's really exciting! My husband and I are raising our 5 year old son surrounded by family members who identify as Christian but I don't remember ever having seen them attend a church service. So the pressure isn't too bad but there are moments like when my mom didn't understand why we refused to send him to a Christian pre-school ("He'll get better education from a Christian school. If you don't believe in Bible stories why do you care if he learns them?") Just recently my son started asking me difficult questions like "Where did our planet come from?" so I'm looking forward to being able to get some feedback from like-minded people who are dealing with the same issues.
Cool, great way to introduce your son to cosmology!
I didn't want to send either of my sons to christian pre-school either and I've run into that attitude. Not so much with family because they are not geographically close to us but if I mention it in passing to a friend they are usually surprised.

What I always wonder is whether there's really any truth to the perception that christian schools are better on the whole than secular schoools, especially at the pre-school level.
It seems like there are a few homeschoolers here. My son will just be entering kinder in public school. I've only considered homeschooling in passing but depending on how things go and where we end up living in the next few years I might consider it more seriously. It's good to know there are people here that can help getting started!
You can also check out charter schools if you state has them. Our kids go to a Montessori charter school (til 6th grade) and so far I have really enjoyed it. State funded, but montessori educated. A nice balance...
I am seriously considering homeschooling my 6 year old but I don't know any other homeschool families and have no idea if I am capable of doing it or where to start .... Any advice?
I bought a book called The Tree of Life: the Wonders of Evolution, by Jackson, a few years ago--it's a beautiful picture book with a cute story of life evolving from the oceans, etc. We still look at it once in a while.
Hi, I'm Melanie...mom to 3 fabulously quirky kids, ages 5, nearly-3 and 13 months. I don't really categorize myself when it comes to religion or lack thereof....but I feel I associate with Humanism for the most part. I'm very laid-back about what religions my children are exposed to. In fact, my sons attended a Christian preschool last year. I'm pretty cool with the "values" my kids are taught at preschool...love unconditionally, respect one another, stuff like that. As long as it's not overkill, I'm fine. Anyway, I'm totally open to my kids exploring whatever kind of "spirituality" they choose...until that time, we're just teaching them to be good little heathens (I mean humanists!)
I read PBB a couple months ago. It was so wonderful to find such a positive resource for atheists and humanists. I can hardly wait for the new book to come out.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

MJ

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service