Chuck's response on the other thread piqued me, so I googled "indoctrination" and it's a big subject.
What is the difference between establishing a healthy value system and indoctrinating your child?

Tags: indoctrination, values

Views: 2

Replies to This Discussion

I think Wikipedia does a pretty good job.

"Indoctrination is the process of inculcating ideas, attitudes, cognitive strategies or a professional methodology. It is often distinguished from education by the fact that the indoctrinated person is expected not to question or critically examine the doctrine they have learned."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination
Our ability to grasp an idea is vastly improved by having words for it.

So to that extend successful indoctrination must not only provide the views you want the child to have, it must also misrepresent or prevent exposure to the very concept of those you don't.

You can't make a choice if you don't know there is one.

Conservapedia is a good example of how propaganda is used against science when pretending it doesn't exist is not an option.
I agree with what's been said already. Passing on one view while preventing exposure to alternate views and discouraging questioning. In religious indoctrination it seems that a key part is inculcating those ideas from a very young age when the child isn't capable of understanding what is being taught and certainly isn't capable of questioning it. Of course the religious don't see what they are doing as indoctrination which sounds so sinister. They are so convinced that they are teaching the truth and what is the correct way, that for them it's not much different then teaching the child how to brush their teeth twice a day.
I guess this went kinda bad with my son, who just hates Christians sometimes, and is always getting into these fights about religion at school.
So, somehow, I feel that I must have indoctrinated him against them.
I don't know you or your son so obviously I can't say. Maybe he just has a high BS meter coupled with being outspoken. Especially living in the bible belt, I'm sure he hears a lot of religious nonsense.

I have to try really hard to watch what I say around my son. I'm one of those people that tends to talk/rant to the TV when I'm watching the news when I hear someone going on about god. None of it has come back to haunt me and fortunately we live in a region that while still pretty religious is not as pervasive as it is where you are so it hasn't been an issue. But he's still young and not terribly concerned with these things.
As long as a child is able to ask "Am I allowed to believe in God" or "Am I allowed to believe in the flying spaghetti monster" with equal safety you will usually pass the non-indoctrination litmus test.
When we teach our children against what others want us to teach them, they use words like indoctrination the same way they use hell; to get at our fears and weaknesses.
When my son asked "am I allowed to believe in God" (I'm glad he could not see my immediate expression) I waited to a moment to ensure a level voice and told him 'Sure'.
When we were in a more chat fostering time and place I also pointed out that we can believe anything at all, but that does not make it true, no matter how much we wish it was. Moreover, we can not expect others to agree with us or not to argue with our views just because we choose to believe something. Making a point about being right requires evidence.

RSS

Support Atheist Nexus

Donate Today

Donate

Help Nexus When You Buy From Amazon

Amazon

AJY

© 2014   Atheist Nexus. All rights reserved. Admin: Richard Haynes.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service